Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B5 vs WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: B5 vs WRX?

i would certainly consider the a4 a "sports car." it just is not a speed demon.

i mean, it is faster than most other cars on the road, but anyone in the market for a "fast car" will likely have a car that will accelerate faster than the a4, especially off the line.

but hey, i'll take an audi over almost any other car any day.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: toaster

i would certainly consider the a4 a "sports car." it just is not a speed demon.

i mean, it is faster than most other cars on the road, but anyone in the market for a "fast car" will likely have a car that will accelerate faster than the a4, especially off the line.

but hey, i'll take an audi over almost any other car any day.
I disagree. The standard A4 is, in my opinion, a luxury sports sedan. What does that mean? It means that the main point of the car is not raw speed/handling/etc., but rather that it is powerful enough to make you feel like you're driving something other than a boring, underpowered box. A sports car is a Porsche 911, a Lotus Elise, etc. A "speed demon" is a Carrera GT, F430, etc. I don't think getting an A4 to do a 12 second quarter mile makes it a sports car, either.

Just my opinion, of course.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:56 PM
4th Gear

u will loose

Old 08-20-2005, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

He will be creamed in a speed contest, but when it comes down to it... it's still a f'n Suburu. I bought a car that was sporty under the hood, plush in the cabin and stylish on the outside. The thing could perform like a Formula 1 car, but it will still be an ugly Subaru or however the hell you spell it.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:51 AM
3rd Gear

Still a feckin subaru? One of the most reliable cars out there, with a damn good race history. Why is it a fecking subaru? Because it is quicker, or do you suffer from badge snobbery? The subaru is a well engineered bit of kit. Not only is a fecking fast out of the foxhole, BUT it keeps its reliability, and is still one of the quickest a to b cars on the planet! Its a rally rep... It is not going to be the plushest interior. Have you seen inside a lotus elise, a caterham, a GT3, or any sports cars of that ilk? They are not the plushest either. maybe you should take your tinted glasses off, and consider the car, rather than the badge.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:17 AM
4th Gear

speaking of the lotus elise I saw one at my local audi dealership last night. OoOOOhhhh man, I almost creamed myself. Good thing they were closed.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:13 AM
1st Gear

Have you seen inside a lotus elise, a caterham, a GT3, or any sports cars of that ilk? They are not the plushest either.
Excellent point. That is exactly why I would never buy any of the aforementioned cars. My choice in in the ~$100,000 price range would probably be a Maserati, S-Class Mercedes or an S6/S8 Audi. That would be my personal preference. Speed is not the most important criteria in my car assessment "equation".

Old 08-20-2005, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

I should reiterate what others have said: A Subaru and an Audi are not in the same class, at least not the models described here.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:39 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Crazyhorse

Have you seen inside a lotus elise, a caterham, a GT3, or any sports cars of that ilk? They are not the plushest either.
Excellent point. That is exactly why I would never buy any of the aforementioned cars. My choice in in the ~$100,000 price range would probably be a Maserati, S-Class Mercedes or an S6/S8 Audi. That would be my personal preference. Speed is not the most important criteria in my car assessment "equation".
??? The scooby isn't pushed as a luxury car. It certainly doesn't deserve the f@cking subaru tag you gave it. It is purely a rally race rep. Puire and simple, in the same vein as the evo. Not really sure whay anyone spending 100,000 would buy a scooby either, so not really sure what point you are trying to make there. caterham is 22K, Elise is 40K, and the GT3 is the only one breaking your 100,000 barrier.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:42 AM
rs
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Toff_the_Toffee

Makes you wonder why people still say there is no replacement for displacement!
lol thats cuz it rhymes, so it must be right. there is a replacement for displacement, and its name is turbo!