Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avants

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:19 AM
4th Gear
Default Avants

What do you guys think about the b5 avant, like or dislike em? I know a few guys here prefer them but I wanna hear the general consensus. Saw a nice one for sale today but I don't think I could convince myself to buy one, just can't shake the "its a still a stationwagon" feel. I do like the b6s though, and of course theres the RS4.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:38 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Avants

i like the b6 avants more then i like the b6 sedans other way around for the b5s though

Old 12-05-2006, 12:50 AM
2nd Gear

I like the grocery get bastards.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:28 AM
4th Gear

I like them both.

If you must have a wagon and have a need for one, might as well make it a sporty luxury audi wagon.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:38 AM
1st Gear

ehh, it depends on what need you have... if you could use that extra space, go with it...

hell, if i have to drive a "stationwagon" its gonna b an audi

Old 12-05-2006, 03:11 AM

I wasnt a huge fan of the B5 Avants... but they have grown on me and I would say go for it. The more I see on the road (still not a lot), the more I like them, there is an old buck who works in my business park and he has a Gold B5 Avant that looks as fresh as the day it rolled off the lot, and that car makes my head turn every morning.

As far as a comparison between Sedan and Avant I will offer you my experience:

Before I bought my Avant I test drove a 2000 B5 V6 Sedan, a 2003 B6 1.8t Sedan, and my 2002 B6 Avant 1.8t. All were manual, all were fun, though the V6 didn't do it for me and I liked B6's more anyways. The sedan B6 was fun, and had a sick Black interior and I was nearly hooked, until I drove the Avant and not even 2 minutes into the test drive I knew I had to have it. It really didnt drive or feel any different than the sedan and that combined with the obvious utility advantages had me sold. Not too sure about the B5, though I imagine it is the same, but on the B6 Avant there are I think 2 more inches of leg room in the backseat than compared to the sedan. I like to be the driver when my crew goes out, or when I take coworkers out for lunch or what not, so that helped my decision also.

A big visual difference for me between the B5 and B6 Avant is right above the rear wheels. The lines of the car seem more muscular at that point than in the B5. Even the rear "cargo" windows have a powerful look to them. (maybe I am crazy)

I have had my Avant since May and I can not tell you how many times it has come in handy, well actualy I could tell you, and I will tell you.

-Recently fit a 7 foot xmas tree (wrapped in a blanket) in the back
-Carried 2 weeks worth of luggage for 6 people on a trip to N.C.
-Fit a dining room Table and 4 chairs.
-2 Patriots tailgating events (wouldnt be able to fit my grill in the trunk of the coupe)
-5 Outdoor concerts and tailgeted the hell out of all of them.
-Fit 4 rims and winter tires for my girls Eclipse.
-Fit a futon frame and mattress no problem.
-Fit all 9 boxes that a BowFlex comes in (though I have yet to start using it).
-Twice I fit 3 people, our camping gear, 2 tents, 2 coolers and a grill.

Keep in mind all of the above fit inside with all the doors and the rear hatch closed, and with the rear seats down, or split.

Thats not bad for 7 Months of use. I am so damn glad that I bought the Avant.

Of course every single person that I know has given me sh*t about having a "Wagon". Even the sweet older ladies who work in the office at work have given me sh*t about driving one, these people never even forget my birthday (even my parents forget my BDay), they are the absolute sweetest grandmother-esque ladies, but even they are not too sweet to give me sh*t about the wagon.

Either way, the Avant has already worked out for me and will probably continue to do so for a few years to come.

Hope that helped.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:35 AM
5th Gear

i think the AVANTS are friggin sweet man, i really want a 99.5 1.8t quattro avant and put a BT on it.... smoke a wrx or sti with a station wagon hells yea

Old 12-05-2006, 03:43 AM

The only "wagon" I have ever seen/thought of buying was ever an Audi, and the only ones worth a damn as far as looks are concerned when modified. Although I have a sedan, if/when I get married if there is a need for a minivan, the wife would be getting an Avant, probably B6 (my fav. avant), but I think I'd rather just buy an SUV.... Once my Audi is payed off, I plan on buying a Newer Dodge Ram with a 24 valve Cummins, 6 speed... if not a truck, probably another Audi, but sometimes I wish I had a truck to haul ****.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:57 AM
2nd Gear

Long time no post. Long story. I bought a 2000 A4 1.8t Avant (new), modified pretty heavily, but lef the exterior bone stock. Not even wheels. Never had a car that I loved to drive like this one. I got the Avant because I work in the medical industry and have to carry a lot of fairly heavy trays. The Avant has probably kept me away from the neurosurgeons for the last six years, it's easy to get stuff out of the Avant. The engine however is chipped (TAP stage III) K-04-15'd with an exhaust and brakes. She's a grocery getter, but she'll spank most anyone who wants to try, even WITH groceries.... Sleeper.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:11 PM

yup...once you go wagon....you never go back...i owned 2 wagons... b5 avant and 88 civic wagon rt 4wd 6spd(rare)...and after few of my friends seen me with an audi wagon....they all when out and got one.... b5 and b6 avant and bmw 325 wagon...is sick i tell you....4 lowered wagons crusing around with some 18's and 19's

Quick Reply: Avants