Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto VS Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Auto VS Manual

I've recently heard a myth that an Auto Transmission A4 is not as good as the manual transmission.
My friend told me that it remebers your shift patterns, and when you want to pass someone in traffic, it may shift slow because you've shifted like that in the past.

Is This true?

Old 04-09-2007, 07:28 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Auto VS Manual

Nope, I have never heard that. If you want power though go with the manual.

Josh

Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 PM
3rd Gear

manual is better off the line - launch capable - auto is difficult and not suggested to launch off the line. After that(like a 5-60 roll or passing) an automatic will shift faster than humanly possible.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

+1

Of course, unless it's got DSG which I'd still pass on because I love being able to churn through the gears yourself.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:42 PM
5th Gear

lol no thats not true. how would your car know that your passing another car?

the dif between the two. auto can hold around 300ft lbs of torque max. manual can hold roughly 500 ft lbs of torque(i think, someone correct me if im wrong). auto is gay and should only be used by elderly women who cant handle having another pedal to mistake for the brake. manual is better in every way. i dont care if you have to drive in traffic every day, guess what so do i, and i still would take a manual over an auto any day of the week. i used to drive a mustang 5.0 too and that clutch is a leg workout in itself

Old 04-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Site Moderator

Ya the tip tranny is adaptive. There aresomething like200 shift patterns it can adapt to depending on your driving habits. Its hardly noticeable though.. The main issues with tip trannies is slugish shifting, not being able to reliably handle over 300 ft lbs without an expensive valve body/tq converter upgrade, and the simple fact that driving a manual is much more fun and engaging. Also if something goes wrong it usually means tranny replacement which is not cheap. The only problems manual trannies have is the clutch and synchros.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

lol no thats not true. how would your car know that your passing another car?

the dif between the two. auto can hold around 300ft lbs of torque max. manual can hold roughly 500 ft lbs of torque(i think, someone correct me if im wrong). auto is gay and should only be used by elderly women who cant handle having another pedal to mistake for the brake. manual is better in every way. i dont care if you have to drive in traffic every day, guess what so do i, and i still would take a manual over an auto any day of the week. i used to drive a mustang 5.0 too and that clutch is a leg workout in itself
His specific question has to deal with shift times at WOT and how an a4 with a TIP would go aginst an a4 with a manual tranny. (correct me if thats not what you were asking) but thanks for trying to turn this into a "manual is better because I say so" thread
I'm not arguing that auto is better I'm just staing that on a roll - an auto should be able to shift faster than a manual. I have a TIP - and I would prefer to have a manual - for the hight torque capabilites when modding. but until I buy another A4 I'm stuck

Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 PM
4th Gear

I didn't know this was something that even needed discussion over....

Manual > Girly *** Auto

Very simple.[:@]

Old 04-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Tech Slut

id rather put a cig out in my eye than read this anymore... hahaha its all about preference. most people prefer to have more feeling and control of the car with a manual... by the way i just blew my tranny.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear

Hey I like my tip haha. Then are ferraris with the paddle shifters girly?????

Quick Reply: Auto VS Manual