Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Audi's reliable at high mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Default Are Audi's reliable at high mileage?

Im new, obviously. In the past I have owned 2 Saabs, which I adored quite a bit. But Ive had 2 in a row now, and frankly, I want to try something a little different, so Im looking toward an Audi. With Saabs, I was comfortable in buying one with high mileage because I knew they would still run super strong, and I wouldnt drive around in a constant state of worry that something was going to bite the dust. I guess what Im asking, is can I have the same comfort in driving an audi with high mileage? I know the biggest factor will be how well said Audi has been maintained and upkept, but as a whole, how do these cars handle high mileage?

Im looking at a Used 2000 A4 w/ 114k on the odometer. Price is 8k, and I booked it at 9500. It seems they hold their value quite well, and most of the cars sell for about 9kish. This leads me to believe upon first glance, that they are indeed reliable with high mileage, but I just wanted to come here and get some insight from people who will know far more on this matter than me. Thanks a lot for all the help. I plan to go look at that Audi tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Are Audi's reliable at high mileage?

yup. get the compression checked

Old 03-20-2006, 04:26 PM
3rd Gear

try to get maintance records....when was timing belt changed

Old 03-20-2006, 04:29 PM
a4
1st Gear

If you want reliability, Audi isn't the way to go. Particularly not with 114K.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear

as long as the maitnence is kept up they are reliable cars.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:45 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: a4

maybe you just got a lemon?

i've got 149k miles on my 2.8 and it still runs very strong...original clutch, engine, i did have to replace the tranny when i bought it though, but that's very unusual, our trannys are usually very solid...if you want reliability, go with the 2.8...the 1.8 is still reliable, but not as much as the 2.8, and if a 1.8 is neglected early on, it will not last much longer than 100k miles...on the other hand, if it's properly maintained, it can last over 200k miles...check out the thread below where people have posted their mileage...one guy did a k04 (big turbo) upgrade on his A4 with over 200k miles on the original engine and clutch.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Last Place - just "necause"

Every car is reliable as long as it is maintained. I've run a lot of cars over 200k without much problems. Just keep it maintained and you'll be fine.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:57 PM

Im not poor, and I can afford to repair it... as I said Im coming from a saab, so the difference in maintanance wont be as staggering to me as someone who owned a civic then bought an audi for example. I know maintanance is important, and I know sometimes **** just happens, and that I can accept. I was mainly just wanting to make sure I wasnt about to step into a complete mess. Thanks for the help. Ill look into the records of the car and see about that timing belt. It seems to be the big thing to do with Audi's.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: bentframe

i've got 149k miles on my 2.8 and it still runs very strong...original clutch, engine, i did have to replace the tranny when i bought it though, but that's very unusual, our trannys are usually very solid...if you want reliability, go with the 2.8...the 1.8 is still reliable, but not as much as the 2.8, and if a 1.8 is neglected early on, it will not last much longer than 100k miles...on the other hand, if it's properly maintained, it can last over 200k miles...check out the thread below where people have posted their mileage...one guy did a k04 (big turbo) upgrade on his A4 with over 200k miles on the original engine and clutch.
You used the original clutch with a new tranny????

Old 03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

ORIGINAL: bentframe

You used the original clutch with a new tranny????
yup...at the time i didn't have enough money to do both...i really didn't even have enough for the tranny but i made it happen...from what i can tell my car has been pretty well taken care of so i think the clutch should be good for a while..as soon as it goes out i'll probably end up getting a stage 2

Quick Reply: Are Audi's reliable at high mileage?