Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUDI'S CRAZY!! need brake help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:10 PM
1st Gear
Default AUDI'S CRAZY!! need brake help

My 96 audi a4 anti-lock brakes pulse as I slow down. It happens onlywhen the car just about stops (0-5 mph). Otherwise all is fine. I figured it was just abs sensor. took it to audi, they want to replace the entire abs system to the tune of $3800!! Are they crazy?? has anyone had this problem? Need some advice.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: AUDI'S CRAZY!! need brake help

Get a 2nd opinion at another dealership or Eurpoean specific independent shop. Its not unheard of for a service advisor to try to 'sell' you on more service then you actually need. Its more common on customer pay work.

The best defense on getting worked over is being knowledgable about your car. This isnt the first time I've heard of this problem on the A4 but I wouldnt venture a diagnosis without a VAG-COM scan and test drive. Find another reputable shop and get another opinion.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear

Wow. Your car probably isn't worth too much more than that.

Did you have any work done recently to anything in the suspension or brakes?

I would suggest:

Jack up the car, take off the wheels, and clean your wheel speed sensors. These are located right by the brakes behind the rotors. They pull straight out without any tools. Wipe them down, spray a little brake cleaner on them, and after it evaporates, reinstall the sensor. (I had a similar problem after doing my control arms and using tons of PB Blaster. It seeped in on the sensors, crudded them up, and make my ABS wig out. After I cleaned them it went away.)

This doesn't cost anything and could possibly help the problem. If this doesn't fix it, get it checked out somewhere else. Its not unheard of for the ABS module to go, but hopefully you can get it fixed up for much less than $3800.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:00 AM
4th Gear

my friends 00 jetta does the same thing

Old 12-23-2006, 06:02 AM
1st Gear

just had new brakes and rotors put on not too long ago

Old 12-23-2006, 06:57 AM
4th Gear

Sounds like the ABS pump or module, you can have it rebuilt at a fraction of what the stealership wants. What were the codes they got, and did they thoroughly explain what exactly is faulty to replace the entire ABS system? If your not careful the stealership can easily rip you off.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

they didnt say anything about any codes.. also, i cleaned the speed sensors but that didnt do anything. also, i couldnt get one of the rear speed sensors out.. any advice on how to remove this thing without destroying it? the other 3 slid right out.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:49 PM

its not uncommon for the ABS to react like that ( no ABS light showing means nothing wrong ) could you have a warped rotor??

Old 12-23-2006, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

So what your saying is that if it was a speed sensor or the abs module or bad motor, the abs light should be on?? I was thinking about just taking out the module and having it rebuilt.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:28 AM
4th Gear

my previous post didnt go through, but I agree with Avant, are you sure your rotor isn't warped or the pads arent seated correctly?

Quick Reply: AUDI'S CRAZY!! need brake help