Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi clutch, harder to learn standard on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:15 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Audi clutch, harder to learn standard on?

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

I taught myself how to drive stick in my first car 11 years ago in an 86 Mazda Rx7. Took me about afull day to start to get comfortable in traffic. Coincidently, the clutch started slipping 2 weeks later... Erno, that wasnt a coincidence. Just thought Id add that wealth of information for you. History proves that if you cant get the hang of it after a week, you are to some degree a woman, and should stay off the roads at all costsin the first place... Or go wax your vagina.
[sm=roll.gif]

Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

I would have to say it was pretty easy for me to learn on an Audi. Now it was a non-q and I think that made a difference. It was an 87 Coupe GT. My ex wife who never drove stick drove it for a week while her car was in the shop.. (my fiancee at the time.. I was brave back then... younger also) anyway she had no issuses .. Then I got my 1990 CQ and she could not drive it. Stalled it everytime or when she didn't you felt like you were in bumper cars... So I have t agree with the Quattro equiped versions being harder... but they are all way better than my 94 Chevy 3/4 ton.. and my buddy's old s10 without power steering.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

History proves that if you cant get the hang of it after a week, you are to some degree a woman, and should stay off the roads at all costsin the first place... Or go wax your vagina.
Haha, I am pretty sure it is just the catch point, because I did give it too much gas too early it seems, and with the probe and its rough engine it was easier to feel/hear when the car was about to die out due to the catch point, so I had an easier time knowing when to apply the gas. But anyway I have only driven the Audi like 7 miles, tonight I’m not going out, I am going to drive the thing for a few hours.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:26 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

I taught myself clutch work on a forklift, and was able to pick up actually driving stick in about half an hour. It's pretty easy, once you work first and second. Love your clutch, and it will love you back!

Old 06-09-2007, 06:38 PM

Contrats on switching to a standard!!

After my first audi got totaled, i was driving a truck for about a month before i got my new one. When I picked up my new one, I had a pretty hard time getting used to it again. To make it worse, I bought it right in Manhattan, so there was lots of traffic. On another note, other people that drive my car seem to have a pretty hard time getting used to the clutch as well.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeff

many you guys think the audi is hard try my evo. freakin clutch is on off no slip
yea i remember hearing that jeremy from top gear said that the clutch was absolutely miserable in the evo

Old 06-10-2007, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

I'm 17, and I learned on my first car, a96 talon fwd. When I test drove the Audi I didn't stall it, but it did feel very weird. Its still way different, and much more difficult than my talon.My audiis so much more different than the talon, the difference is insane. I dont know if its the release point, or the AWD, or a mixture of the two, but its much different and I see exactly where your coming from. You'll get the hang of it.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

I love my Stage 3 Schimmel Performance Clutch. You can drop it in on anything with 0 slip. My favorite is the 6000 rpm drop. Scares the **** out of the people at stoplights. haha

Old 06-10-2007, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

I have the two extremes now... The Mustang with a hard aftermarket clutch, and a clutch cable vs the Audi with a hydraulic clutch and being stock. Needless to say it is different, but for someone who drives manual a lot, it should not be considered hard.Took me all of a couple of stop lights to get used to it, and love it.

I like both ways the clutchs are for different reasons.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: Noobinator

I love my Stage 3 Schimmel Performance Clutch. You can drop it in on anything with 0 slip. My favorite is the 6000 rpm drop. Scares the **** out of the people at stoplights. haha
why is such a strong clutch needed?

Quick Reply: Audi clutch, harder to learn standard on?