Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi B5 power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 02:40 AM
1st Gear
Smile Audi B5 power steering problem

Ok, so I have noticed that my power steering does not feel solid and smooth like a well maintained car should. It doesn't return completely to center, rather it feels slackish and will stay put about 1" either way from offcenter. under driving loads. I don't know if this is tie rods or not, but i'm also feeling my steering clunk as if it has play in the front when I hit bumps. I feel like it's not tie rod related though because when I get under the car and have someone nudge the steering back and forth the tires are very responsive.

One other thing I noticed, is when I corner very sharp while traveling faster than one would normally corner (like 10-15 mph) I hear this Clunk, that reverberates up to my steering wheel, and in my feet, it feels hard, and metallic, and its very un-reproduceable. I am kind of thinking the rack is on its way out to be honest... cause I changed the P/S pump with no luck. Even that too is starting to already make funny noises, like chirping and chattering, and I'm randomly seeing air bubbles in my steering reservoir on cold mornings. I think this is gonna be fixed soon though, because whats happening is the suction line (small 30$ rubber elbow) is not original and i cut the old one off and tried to put un bent p/s line on their and it got a little kinked and didnt look like it'd seal well but it did... until the cold. Now i see a little moistness but no lie its like hardley noticeable so i tightened the clamps for now and no more problems... but even before the p/s pump change all this play and clunk was still happening!

Any one ever experience this? i need to get ready for snowfall soon.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:35 AM
2nd Gear

Is your car lowered?

Could be coils on one side or the other, take a peek at them, but could also be steering rack. If it's your steering rack, generally you would be leaking p/s fluid...if your pump is making funny noises, you are most likely leaking fluid somewhere....

Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 AM
1st Gear

my audi has the factory sport suspension.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by markymarc
Is your car lowered?

Could be coils on one side or the other, take a peek at them, but could also be steering rack. If it's your steering rack, generally you would be leaking p/s fluid...if your pump is making funny noises, you are most likely leaking fluid somewhere....
my audi has the factory sport suspension. the front coils are actually higher than the rears.. so I think its safe to say the coils arent a highly suspectable culprit

Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Certified

I would get the cat looked at before something fall apart. Upper control arm bushing & joints , tie rods are very common & can sudden steering failure.
Don't screw around with your safety.