Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi a4 b5 sideskirt removal/paint...Havent you ever wondered?! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi a4 b5 sideskirt removal/paint...Havent you ever wondered?! HELP!

Hey guys... I been looking all over but cannot seem to find the answer to my question, which I would think would be a simple one that alot of people would ask!

How can I paint my A4 b5 sideskirts!?

No, i'm not an idiot... this is a serious question. They are made out of rubber. if I paint them as is, it will look like crap and peel off in months. However, I noticed that the s4 sideskirts and lower body are totally painted. Can I buy the s4 parts? Are they plastic insted of rubber? If anybody has these peices from their s4 (sideskirt + trim) i would love to purchase them (in the next week, i'm painting my car)

Or, Is it possible to completly remove my trim for my sideskirt and only have that minimal black? Or, can i remove the trim and sideskirts and bondo them so that it can be painted? I tried to check it out but it looks like if I remove that rubber trim that is above the sideskirt water will get in my car when it is being washed. Hmmm?

I hate the black trim and I'm painting my car next week, what should I do guys?

Old 06-09-2006, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Audi a4 b5 sideskirt removal/paint...Havent you ever wondered?! HELP!

A DIY for this is posted on Audiworld.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Audi a4 b5 sideskirt removal/paint...Havent you ever wondered?! HELP!

search the forums for "Painted lowers"...it's a somewhat common mod

Old 06-09-2006, 10:50 PM
5th Gear

you can paint the rubber trim, you just need to use the right paint..if you're having your car painted by a shop, they should know what to use..just mention to them that you would like the lower trim painted and they'll take care of it...if you're doing it yourself, check out the write-up on audiworld.com in their tech section

Old 06-09-2006, 11:10 PM
5th Gear

If you want S4 skirts in a week, you'll likely have to go to the dealer, and bend over. They cost over 1000 for all the stuff you need... but you can wait and find used ones for like 200~, and get the hardware and rest of the crap for probably another 200. So after paint, likely close to 600... but worth it, if you have the money.

Or just paint your lowers as they are now. If you aren't happy, THEN spend the 600 on the S4 skirts... or paint the lowers now, and start your search for used S4 skirts immediately.

Old 06-10-2006, 03:50 AM
1st Gear

what is the right paint?

Old 06-10-2006, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

Okay... I have already had the sideskirts quoted from audi... 200 a peice, however the tech told me that usually the parts that are paintable have a something (three letters) at the end of their PN but the s4 sides didnt even have them...

There is no way I'm going to paint rubber, it would peel off in a week. Even with the "Right" paint there is no way it would stick, if the right paint is just reg. paint with a flex agent added.

I've looked for DIY mods, its not in there... theres only useless knowledge like the stuff I have just been told...However, as of now I think i'm going to shave all the body molding for the sides if it is possible to do w/o getting massive amts of water in the car when it rains ..

So my next question, does the sideskirt rubber protect from water entry?

Old 06-10-2006, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

and if anybody can point me to a post where it shows someone who took off their moulding/sides let me know ,because I can't find it.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:59 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: ruby

and if anybody can point me to a post where it shows someone who took off their moulding/sides let me know ,because I can't find it.

lol dude just listen to experience audi people. A MILLION people have painted there side skirts, front lip, and rear lip. Its a very common mod, I did the DIY and it came out beautiful, and its been 5 months now and no signs of peeling what so ever. Trust people who have done it before, its the easiest, cheapest mod in the world, and it makes the car look 100 times better... just do it today, go get some paint, some clearcoat, maybe sand that biaaaaa...and get those lowers painted...

Old 06-10-2006, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ruby

I've looked for DIY mods, its not in there... theres only useless knowledge like the stuff I have just been told...However, as of now I think i'm going to shave all the body molding for the sides if it is possible to do w/o getting massive amts of water in the car when it rains ..

So my next question, does the sideskirt rubber protect from water entry?
Getting a little bit of an attitude for someone who doesn't know what theya re talking about. Hit up the gallery and look at the silver b5's who have their lowers painted.... then messeage one and ask them about any peeling issues, they will all say there isnt any

Quick Reply: Audi a4 b5 sideskirt removal/paint...Havent you ever wondered?! HELP!