Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A4 (2005) Lurching Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 (2005) Lurching Problem

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have an Audi A4 2.0TDI (2005) car which has developed a lurching problem. I was driving the car and the Emissions light came on the dash. I took it to a mechanic and when he connected it to the diagnostics, it said that the air filter was faulty. The part was replaced. But this is when the problem started. When taking off in first gear etc, the car now is lurching quite badly at times.....its like kangaroo petrol, or if you are in first gear and put your foot on and then off quickly.

My mechanic thought it might have been a faulty air filter so after a few days he replaced the part, but unfortunately the problem still exists. I have also taken it to Audi for them to run their diagnostic tests. When they completed their tests, they could find no fault with the car. I am at a total loss of what might be causing the problem. I have also put injection cleaner in as well, but this hasn't helped at all. Sometimes the engine, when sitting idle, it seems to rev a wee bit (the rev indicator moves up and down) - I don't know if this is related?

Can anyone help? Someone has mentioned an ERG value as being clogged up? I don't have much knowledge about cars and so would really appreciate any light that you chould shed on this problem.

Many thanks.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

I think my A6 is having the same problem as yours. Did you ever have any luck figuring out the problem?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Engine Problem

Originally Posted by compman723
I think my A6 is having the same problem as yours. Did you ever have any luck figuring out the problem?

Thanks
Engine problems can be summed up by 3 main causes
1. Improper fuel mix
2. Improper Compression
3. Improper Spark
As it is mentioned that the rev indicator fluctuates, the possible reason could be lack of proper compression. It means that there is a leak somewhere which is not allowing to create proper compression. The best way is to perform a compression test on each cyl. and check every hoses for leaks. I hope this might help you a bit.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

Hi. Yes, I managed to finally get to the bottom of it. My mechanic had originally used a non-Audi part when replacing the airflow meter. He then replaced it with genuine Audi one, and the problem seem to disappear. Hope this helps.