Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A4 1.8T 2001 : Shud I?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Default Audi A4 1.8T 2001 : Shud I?

Hi there,

This happens to be my first post (and if the deal goes thru, I am sure it wont be the last)

I am looking at an :
Audi A4 1.8T
Manual Trans
Front wheel drive
Dark Blue+biege Leather interior
Excellent Condition
2 Owners
Clean Carfax report!
52k miles
Everything else is standard!

I have the following questions!
1. What shud I offer?
The blue book says 14,600 to 15,300 for good to excellent!
The Edmunds TMV say 14,600 with exceptional!
I am thinking of offering 14,800, since the tires seem to have lost a lot of tread and there is no warranty!

2. How good is the reliability of the car?
Mean I dont expect to drive it hard and still want it to be reliable!
But most of my firends are putting on a caution over buying this car.
Further, from cosumereports.org, I found a 3year/36k mile (covers most of the stuff) extended warranty for 1500$ (100 deductibile)!
Any ideas or suggestions about extended warranties are welcome!

3. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks a lot
Looking forward to ur replies!
Abhi

Old 09-10-2004, 02:07 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Audi A4 1.8T 2001 : Shud I?

Part of the magic of an Audi is the Quattro. Not a much needed option if you live in the sunshine belt, but sure makes it easier to launch and handle. I have the same color interior, which I love, and there is easy potential for power with the 1.8T. Offer low and move up if necessary. Have it looked at by a mechanic and start at $13,500. Who knows how motivated the seller is? Move up to $15,000 if you have to, but pay no more than that....

Old 09-10-2004, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear

Agree with Marcus.

Start low and move up. Have a mechanic look at it. Get an extended warranty if you do get the car, you'll thank yourself for it in the end even if the car is a gem. I'd go for it. The A4 makes the girls come a runnin!

Most cars are reliable if you take care of them. Don't let maintenance slide or you'll pay for it. Your car will love you just as much as you love your car...unless you're Doose and have a wife who likes ripping the bumpers off of 26k+ dollar luxury sports cars.

Have the timing belt checked to see if it has been replaced recently. If not, knock about 1.5k off your offer. You'll most likely want to get that replaced around 60k miles.

Get vehicle history..not just carfax. As in maintenance records...its best to know what has and has not been done to your vehicle.

(these are all the things I wish I had done before buying my A4. I love it to death but I'm clueless on too many details. Know the car you buy inside and out)

If its all good..nab that thang cuz daaaamn are they sweet rides!

-T

Old 09-10-2004, 06:34 PM

Hello Abdul, and welcome to audiforums! First off, if you have any friends who own an Audi, i'd recommend test driving theirs... I personally feel the car is great, and I agree with the other posts on here. Since the car is an '01, definately check it out. I'd also recomment driving a friends audi (if you have any smart friends who own one).

I think the only setback you might experience is the power, but bear in mind that could be easily fixed with a chip (which is relatively inexpensive as far as power to dollars goes). Most of all though, be sure that you get the exact car that you want, there are plenty of audi's for sale, so don't feel pressured to get this one if it's not exactly what you're looking for. You can always spend a little more and get a later year with less miles (if you have concerns over that). Either way, the best thing about audi's is that you get that german driving experience, the kind that makes you feel connected to the road, rather then numb like some american and even japanese cars that i've driven. To me, that's worth a premium, but then again, different folks different strokes.

Finally, there are extended warranty packages that you can consider.. you also mentioned tires, when i purchased my car, i got some coverage on my tires for a few bucks a month they cover any damage (nails, etc) to the tires.... i think this is a dealer thing though. Make the deal baus, you won't be sorry.

-----------
$OM 4 LIFE

Old 09-10-2004, 06:35 PM

One final thing I forgot to mention, the reason I said don't rush into it is b/c the car has two owners... i'm not saying that's a bad thing, but just look into it.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:35 PM

Thanks a lot for all the replies!
Hey Bizzle, thanks for the welcome (btw my name is Abhi not Abdul.. )

On my friend's recommendation, I have found a mechanic and I am getting it checked before I make my offer.

I have driven a couple of audis before these, and this one is sweeeeeeeet!

As far as the owners are considered, I would only count 1 since this guy is selling it after only one month coz of insurance hikes (due to earlier records).

Keep replying pls..I am sure I can use all the "audi" wisdom in the board against all the caution I am getting..

Btw, lemme know if anybody wants to carfax any car, since I have the unlimited account for the next 29 days!

Thanks Again!
- Abhi

Old 09-11-2004, 03:50 AM
1st Gear

hi there i don't know if i can be of much help since i'm new also but i'll do my best
back in july i bought an 01 audi a4 1.8 T but quattro
anyway because it was a 2001 and the manufacturer warranty began in feb of 01 i actually have until feb of 05 till it expires any chance you still have a few months left on that cars oem warranty

anyway i have experience mostly in older audi's this is my first car that is less than five years old anyway audi's are not known for reliablity and so i wouldn't buy it i were looking for a car where reliablity was the number priority but that being said german cars are all about the actuall driving experience and even the frontrak audi have among the best comfort and grip in its class i think what you'll find out in the end is as with anything in life what you put in is what you get out of it if you treat your audi like the classy ride it is.

what i would suggest as a way to gauge your cars condition right now and everyday that you own it is to keep a very close eye on the temperature find out where its comfortable and don't push it to hard if you see its going beyond that point. and yes giving your car even just five minutes to warm up and cool off will greatly improve its life.

not sure if you know but the audi a4 1.8t's before 2001 had 150 hp standard but you audi and my a4 have 170hp standard this was a change that tok place in 2001 for audi 1.8T's so if you change your mind and maybe see an older audi keep that in mind.

personally the only complaint i have about my 01 A4 is that the wheels never stay clean they dusy up and bake onto the wheels its just so annoying but most people don't keep the oem rims they upgrade to biggier wheels but i still like mine. by the way what kind of condition are the tires in, if there not in great shape or the owner still has those dumb oem Goddyear Eagle LS's on the car you're probably going to want to change your tires when you get the car. tires are very important and greatly effect the added potential of your audi.

if i were in your position i would spend a considerably amount of time focusing on the condition of the turbo right now i know someone , well let me put it this way some jabroni tried to sell me his 2000 A4 because he had just had his turbo replaced under warranty but it was coming to and end to he wanted to get rid of it and thats common with people who aren't real audi fans they just try to ditch it on someone else when the warranty runs and the car doesn't. beware and good luck you've got good taste.

Old 09-11-2004, 06:04 PM

offer 11G's and then you can negotiate with him.

Old 09-11-2004, 11:41 PM

Thanka a lot for the replies! The think I got a better Audi!
Well now I have another one, this one still has some warranty left -

Specs
Audi 1.8T Quattro
Silver with black leather interior
Manual Trans
Sunroof
17inch wheels
Clean Carfax
49k miles (so still got warranty on it)
Everything else is standard.
The dealer gives 1000mile/1month warranty

The car drives amazing...love it!

The dealer is quoting 15990 and didnt go a dime below!

What do you all say?
Is the price right????

Old 09-12-2004, 02:29 AM
Administrator

Just take your time and wait because befor i got my baby i was going to by a 1997 240sx. i was going to buy that car becasue i love the body and style but the car lot i was gonna buy it from wanted a really unreasonable price of 11000. i love that car but i aint stupid that car is not worth 11000 i blame the lamest movie of all time (FAF and 2F2F) for the price hike. but i passed up car and my uncle found my audi a4 for really cheap and it was a dream come true. so just be wait and patient. dont just in to it unless u really sure its wut you want

Quick Reply: Audi A4 1.8T 2001 : Shud I?