Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi 1.8t or 350z

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Default RE: Audi 1.8t or 350z

ORIGINAL: Electric Pi

You should get out to an autocross sometime fahquad, you will see what I'm talking about. Dont get me wrong, the A4 is a great car, and i would choose it over a 350Z, but A4s are pigs when you push them.
Done that. Not in to never leaving second gear. Auto-X is not what my car works well for and I couldn't race stock anyhow. I stand corrected based on all your data for that application and never claimed stock that it would do well.
This isn't about what a stock A4 would do against a stock Z in a sanctioned auto-x race. What I'm saying is that for a lot less in mods than you'd pay for on the Z, you'll get a car that would take a stock Z. I'm not trying to put the two up in a sanctioned SCCA event. I'm saying the same person takes a lap or three in a stock Z and thena modded A4 dialed in and the A4 will take it. Maybe not so much in auto-x and I'm sorry I used that example, but an open track, where the car can open up and get out of the first few gears.... the A4 does really well.
Raced karts and cars since before I had a license for the street. Father was instructor at Watkins Glen.
Understeer can be dialed out of A4 enough to make it a good track car. A4's are pigs when stock. Set up well, they aren't bad.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:27 AM
5th Gear

Even with my coils and H-sport sways (rear on stiff setting) I still understeer... if I had more power I could likely whip the *** end around... but I don't.

This thread is pretty crazy, though... So what do you guys prefer? Apples or oranges? (I've done this before...)

Old 06-06-2007, 01:39 AM

H-sport S4 sways on stiffest here, too. While I doubt we can get rid of all understeer on the B6 pig, and it will never be a RWD car, with ESP off I can kick the back end at will.
We do this a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBHXiwe_WiM

Old 06-06-2007, 01:41 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: fahquad

You should get out to an autocross sometime fahquad, you will see what I'm talking about. Dont get me wrong, the A4 is a great car, and i would choose it over a 350Z, but A4s are pigs when you push them.
Done that. Not in to never leaving second gear. Auto-X is not what my car works well for and I couldn't race stock anyhow. I stand corrected based on all your data for that application and never claimed stock that it wold do well.
Raced karts and cars since before I had a license for the street. Father was instructor at Watkins Glen.
Understeer can be dialed out of A4 enough to make it a good track car. A4's are pigs when stock. Set up well, they aren't bad.
You race?!? and you thought geting an A4 to handle like a 350Z was a matter of throwing on some coil overs? Yes you can dial out enough of the understeer to make it a good track car, but it takes more than coil overs to get into RWD sports car territory, and after your done replacing the anti roll bars, playing with spring rates, ride hights, shock settings, etc., you still have a FWD/AWD car with the engine way out in front of the front axle. Sure it will handle better, but it still doesn't handle like a RWD car. A4s are good at a lot of things, but handling at the limmit isn't one of them.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 AM

Done that. Not in to never leaving second gear. Auto-X is not what my car works well for and I couldn't race stock anyhow. I stand corrected based on all your data for that application and never claimed stock that it wold do well.
You race?!? and you thought geting an A4 to handle like a 350Z was a matter of throwing on some coil overs? Yes you can dial out enough of the understeer to make it a good track car, but it takes more than coil overs to get into RWD sports car territory, and after your done replacing the anti roll bars, playing with spring rates, ride hights, shock settings, etc., you still have a FWD/AWD car with the engine way out in front of the front axle. Sure it will handle better, but it still doesn't handle like a RWD car. A4s are good at a lot of things, but handling at the limmit isn't one of them.
Please don't take anything written out of context. I don't think "throwing on a set of coilovers" will make the car handle like a 350Z. I will, however, bet cash money that an A4 with decent coilovers, sways, rates, etc (like you'd said)set up well with rebound and dampening, and of course motor mods, will take a stock 350Z in most any style of racing. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not saying it will drive like one. Never even implied that; looking back over my posts I can't see where you'd get that interp from; that "all it takes is some coilovers to drive like a Z".
Come on, this isn't a pissing match and I agree with you (which you don't seem to get from your tone of replies). It's a totally different beast. Apples and oranges, like it was said. An A4 will never be a RWD short track car.
All I am saying is that a modded B6 A4 will take a stock 350Z, that I've yet to have a stock 350z take me on thestreet or track,and ultimately that a modded A4 is not that big of apig on the track. If anything I said was interpreted different by you, then I'm sorry for the "failure to communicate".

EDIT: Its hard to make any post look non-confrontational. But I'm trying, lol.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:13 AM
1st Gear

Please don't take anything written out of context. I don't think "throwing on a set of coilovers" will make the car handle like a 350Z.
yeah, not sure where i got that idea... oh wait I found it.

it will take insane amounts of suspension work to make the audi handle half as well at the limit as the 350Z does stock.
Not true. Throw some PSS9's or some Track Sports on an A4 and I'd bet you'll take a Z on a skid pad and auto-x. That isn't "insane amounts" in my book.
is that in context enough for you?

Any car can be modded to handle well, but by the time youve spent all the money to fix the handling on an A4, and upgrade the motor (lets not forget that a stock 350Z will pull away from a stock A4 on the streights too), the 350Z owner went and got a stillen super charger and now has 390 CARB legal hp with a 3 year warrenty. He's back in front, his set up is totaly streetable (the streetability of audis suspension/alignment at this point is probably questionable at best) and he probably spent less too. A4s are excelent sports sedans, but sports cars they are not.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:22 AM
1st Gear

H-sport S4 sways on stiffest here, too. While I doubt we can get rid of all understeer on the B6 pig, and it will never be a RWD car, with ESP off I can kick the back end at will.
We do this a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBHXiwe_WiM
ummm. you drove through a giant patch of sand to get the car sideways. See my sig for a pic of a FWD corolla with about 90hp getting sideways on a (bigger) patch of sand. The corolla cant keep spinning like that because its FWD and low HP, but I would hardly call that kicking the back end at will.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:44 AM

ummm. you drove through a giant patch of sand to get the car sideways. See my sig for a pic of a FWD corolla with about 90hp getting sideways on a (bigger) patch of sand. The corolla cant keep spinning like that because its FWD and low HP, but I would hardly call that kicking the back end at will.
ummm.... I didn't drive through szhit. That isn't me. Was only using as an example and for fun. I didn't realize he drove through sand, because I can do that in any parking lot and there isn't sand for hundreds of miles from where I live. Again, you're taking things completely out of context and stretching actual intent to fit your needs. Funny thing is, I'm not claiming anything that you're trying to disprove. You're taking snippets and claiming they're not factual?
You said:
quote:

it will take insane amounts of suspension work to make the audi handle half as well at the limit as the 350Z does stock.
And I said I wouldn't call a decent set of coilovers "insane amounts". And that's all it would take to handle more than "half as well". Where is that not a correct statement, and why try to argue it?
I conceed. You are much better and more gooder than me in everything, and there is no way my A4 couldever take the mighty stock Z no matter how much I do to it.

Sorry to the OPfor the threadjack. Mycar is a pig and I'm selling it tomorrow to buy a 350Z so I can rule.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:07 AM

yeah, not sure where i got that idea... oh wait I found it.
Sarcasm noted and appreciated. But it's still out of context becausewhat I said wasnot an untrue statement. Mid-level coilover set up on an A4 will take a Z. Not "handle like" a Z.

Any car can be modded to handle well, but by the time youve spent all the money to fix the handling on an A4, and upgrade the motor (lets not forget that a stock 350Z will pull away from a stock A4 on the streights too), the 350Z owner went and got a stillen super charger and now has 390 CARB legal hp with a 3 year warrenty. He's back in front, his set up is totaly streetable (the streetability of audis suspension/alignment at this point is probably questionable at best) and he probably spent less too. A4s are excelent sports sedans, but sports cars they are not.
Yep, sure. But I never claimed anything different. My modded A4 will take any stock 350Z. That is all I'm saying. If you're talking about modding the Z, then you're totally not getting my intent. Especially because I am agreeing with you that the Z is a great car and a beast modded.
Plain and simple, a modded B6 A4, without "insane amounts" of anything,will take a stock Z. Period. Check please.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:53 AM
2nd Gear

What if you were to throw a TT into the mix? I'm not really that familiar with the TT, but it would seem to be more of a direct comparison to the 350Z as a lot of people havenoted we're comparing apples to oranges. Maybe I'm wrong though... thoughts?

Quick Reply: Audi 1.8t or 350z