Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi 1.8t or 350z

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:39 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Audi 1.8t or 350z

I think you would also have consider the fact that if you want to do mods and personalize the vehicle yourself, audi is the way to go but be prepare for alot of maintenances issue due to tweaking and troubleshooting. If reliability is what you are after, the Z is the best choice with no mods. Do alot of reach and figure out the pros and cons before decision.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

I am not an audi owner but I know I want to get an A4. I feel like nissan went down in quality. I have a friend who works for nissan dealership as a mechanic and he told me that they are crap. I also have to friends with 06 maximas and they have all sorts of problems mostly with suspention. The interior feels cheap as well. Not too good of a finish. Audi on the other hand feels very solid and you can tell the minute you close the door or trunk. Anyways thats just my .02 cent.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

Owning both a A4 2.0T and a 350Z (modified, check my sig), I have to say they are two totally different cars with different goals in mind. The 2.0T definantly wins in quality, but the 350Z holds its own very well. I see a lot of people here complaining about the 350Z's quality, but I have had no problems with it in the last 4 years I've had it. If you need the rear seats and plan on driving around with friends, then get the 1.8T and modify it a bit. If you don't mind having a 2 seater, then get the 350Z. The 350Z is more fun to drive IMHO.

The 1.8T will be cheaper to modify than the Z, however it will take some money to get it up to the stock level of the Z. The Z is a mid 13 sec car IF driven properly. Not sure what the 1.8 does in the 1/4 stock. The Z doesn't respond very well to bolt on mods. That is why the twin turbo kit was the 3rd thing I did to the Z (right after intake and pulley). Right now there are A LOT of companies that areselling built engine packages for the 350Z, and the prices on those have come down a LOT compared to what they were when I started modifying the Z. You could get a twin turbo kit and a built block for $12K when all is said and done, and you'll be at 600+rwhp leaving all the exotics way behind. Of course you'd have to add exhaust, test pipes, and a couple other breahter mods on top of that $12K. $12k would just be for a built engine and a turbo kit installed. I wouldn't suggest to put on a turbo kit without building the engine, altough it can be done reliably.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Jaki

Not sure what the 1.8 does in the 1/4 stock.
I drove a friend's stocker the other day so he could drive mine, and his felt like about a mid-3-minute 1/4, lol.
I think the B6 quattros are like mid 16 1/4. Real pigs.
For $5-6k you can be in the low to mid 12's with a good driver. Some are pushing the boundaries in to the 11-second range. This is for B6; there are some B5 guys who are pushing some great numbers.
I'll take mid 12's for a family four door.
I love the Z, and with some big money it can be a screamer.
Two different cars; two different reasons why I'd want either.
But knowing I can take the stock Z's out there helps when I drool over a Z sitting somewhere. They are for sure sweet looking cars.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:44 AM
4th Gear

I agree a lot with jaki
I have the a4, and a 300z.
They are different cars for sure, but I love them both.

What are your goal/needs? If you need a grocery getter and DD thats fun to drive, and holds 4 people, the a4 is the way to go. Its a fun drive, looks good, and can be made to perform well.
If you already have a DD, and you're looking for a sport car, then the 350z all the way. I use my audi all year round (love it) and the z when theres no chance of rain and its not to hot to ride with th t-tops off.

Maybe you should just get one of each!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: fahquad

ORIGINAL: Jaki

Not sure what the 1.8 does in the 1/4 stock.
I drove a friend's stocker the other day so he could drive mine, and his felt like about a mid-3-minute 1/4, lol.
I think the B6 quattros are like mid 16 1/4. Real pigs.
For $5-6k you can be in the low to mid 12's with a good driver. Some are pushing the boundaries in to the 11-second range. This is for B6; there are some B5 guys who are pushing some great numbers.
I'll take mid 12's for a family four door.
I love the Z, and with some big money it can be a screamer.
Two different cars; two different reasons why I'd want either.
But knowing I can take the stock Z's out there helps when I drool over a Z sitting somewhere. They are for sure sweet looking cars.
Agreed. I was in such a hurry while typing my previous response, that I forgot to mention that it also depends a lot on how much money a person is willing to spend on modifying. If the budget is in the $5-6k range, then you could get a single turbo kit for the Z, which would put you in the low to mid 12's. However, I personally wouldn't suggest doing forced induction on the Z, without doing the internals as well. So in that case, I'd suggest the A4. Its turbo from the factory already, and it will respond much better to simple bolt ons.

Fahquad, I'm not trying to argue here or anything, just curious as I'm new to the A4, how reliable are the A4's when modded such as yours? How much power do people get away with on stock internals in the A4?

ORIGINAL: acetrebo

I agree a lot with jaki
I have the a4, and a 300z.
They are different cars for sure, but I love them both.

What are your goal/needs? If you need a grocery getter and DD thats fun to drive, and holds 4 people, the a4 is the way to go. Its a fun drive, looks good, and can be made to perform well.
If you already have a DD, and you're looking for a sport car, then the 350z all the way. I use my audi all year round (love it) and the z when theres no chance of rain and its not to hot to ride with th t-tops off.

Maybe you should just get one of each!

Agreed!! We're in the same boat here. I got the A4 as a daily, because it looks good, and drives great. The other two are just weekend, show, and funcars.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

If you only want cheap speed go with the Z. Although, the Z is not very attractive. My opinion, the A4 would be a better overall driving experience and looks good from any angle.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:20 PM
4th Gear

Z is not attractive? And you are smoking what?

the z:

The a4....

I love the a4, but in my opinion, the z is a sport car, the a4 a sporty sedan.
Z looks hot, and with mods even better.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear

If you going to B6 1.8t i would say 1.8 but if its b5 or b7 i would say no, Otherwise 350 is ballsy and looks pretty good i think, butthe audi is more comfy and a nicer over all car.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:41 PM
3rd Gear

I love the exhaust sound coming out of Z

Quick Reply: Audi 1.8t or 350z