Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATW Head.. need advice..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:35 PM
3rd Gear
Default ATW Head.. need advice..

Need some advice on what i should offer a audizine member for this Head.. it has 66k on it, on car-parts.com they sell for 350-1k, i found a few rebuild heads for $850 plus a core (core charge 250).. he said make an offer and i really dont know where to start.. here are a few pics, take a look tell me what you think of the head and what a good first offer might be.. thanks..

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/SchnellMotorsports/Picture016.jpg[/imgae]

Old 02-22-2007, 01:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: ATW Head.. need advice..

Does "ATW" head mean it's an aftermarket head?

I would suggest having it fluxed to check for cracks, and don't forget it will need to be decked by a machine shop before you can install it. I'd say nail down what exactly you think he payed and then offer about 60% of that and see what he says.

EDIT: but if it's a stock head, I would just offer $450-$500 if a lot of rebuilds go for $850.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:44 PM
3rd Gear

its off his car.. he went with an AEB head.. ATW is the engine code for a 2000 a4.. atw has smaller ports than the AEB.. I dont know what he paid for his head.. AEB heads are cheeper ATW heads are hard to find and are a one year engine code.. what do you think a machine shop with charge for all that.. and i dont know if anyone knows if the ATW head can be ported?

Old 02-22-2007, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't buy a used head unless it's been fluxed to check for cracks, especially on a turbo car. As for pricing on decking and fluxing I don't really know, all the work I've ever had done was done by a friend of mine for no charge.

And you might as well port it and give it a three angle valve job while you've got it off.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
3rd Gear

so basically might just be better to take mine off and have it machined and fix the valves that are bad.. would save me cash in the long run.. i just figurned i could clean it up and slap it on

Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

What do mean my "bad" valves? Are the valve seats worn?

Old 02-22-2007, 02:07 PM
3rd Gear

I dont really know i failed a leakdown on cylender 2 at 30% on the intake side.. so i have a bad intake valve i guess the seats warn, but i have not taken the head apart to look at it..

Old 02-22-2007, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

Is your car a daily driver and you're trying to avoid down time?

If you're able to take the downtime, I suggest pulling the head off and take it to a machine shop. Have then magnaflux it to check for cracks. Then have them do a three angle valve grind and slap some new valves in it. Last but not least, it will need to be decked (machined flat).

Then you'll have basically a brand new head.

You absolutely cannot take a head off and reinstall it without it being decked.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:19 PM
3rd Gear

you right.. i can drive another car.. the car was sold to me like that from a dushbag forum member.. he knew it had a valve problem and didnt tell me, car had never really run right.. but it is a stage3+ car.. just has so many problems.. i kinda got screwed.. i wouldnt by another car off the forums again thats for sure

Old 02-22-2007, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear

I'd give him 300 for it. You can have it cleaned up and it will probably be fine.

Quick Reply: ATW Head.. need advice..