Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
GT2x
34.88%
GT28RS
65.12%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

ATP GT2X VS GT28RS TURBO SETUP

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 10:20 PM
rs
2nd Gear
Default RE: ABT GT2X TURBO SETUP

I'd want the RS or nothin!
im all yours

Old 07-01-2005, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

Yeah sorry for the confusion. I was talking about Crank HP....350 is all I really need that should be roughly 300 at the wheels

Old 07-01-2005, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear

ok, im confused the gt2x will make peak power from 3.5 to 4, but somebody said that its thrust berring insead of ball berring, which made it spool slower.

however sombody also said that the gt28rs doesnt make any power until 4 or 4.5, which would make you overrev to "reap all the benifits"

can sombody help me out, i'll get the k04 if i have to but i would much rather perfer an atp turbo, when's the software gonna come out?
which gas should i run? how much money r we talking about? hp and torque numbers? is a cluch upgrade necessary? i kno u can use a stock manifold with the turbo, but how about a high flow one? which one should i use? will the street software need a boost controller? is this a stupid question?

whew, i think thats it, haha, maby thats just a list of what needs to be asked sr8 to atp...

that is all

Old 07-01-2005, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: luvin_the_rings

ok, im confused the gt2x will make peak power from 3.5 to 4, but somebody said that its thrust berring insead of ball berring, which made it spool slower.

however sombody also said that the gt28rs doesnt make any power until 4 or 4.5, which would make you overrev to "reap all the benifits"

can sombody help me out, i'll get the k04 if i have to but i would much rather perfer an atp turbo, when's the software gonna come out?
which gas should i run? how much money r we talking about? hp and torque numbers? is a cluch upgrade necessary? i kno u can use a stock manifold with the turbo, but how about a high flow one? which one should i use? will the street software need a boost controller? is this a stupid question?

whew, i think thats it, haha, maby thats just a list of what needs to be asked sr8 to atp...

that is all

I only know that the GT2x is made to spool faster. Tom-Ritt would know the ins and outs of the GT28rs. From my conversations with ATP the software won't be completed until July or late august. All of the reported tests are run on a mix of 93 ocatne. They report all of the testing is done on stock equipment. But if you wanted higher flow, I would recommend the APR exhaust system, Samco Cool air hoses, AWE-Stage 1 clutch if its for street driving, APR Snub Mounts....

ATP has a manifold that they are making that is up to 400hp but the date isn't set yet.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:10 AM
2nd Gear

so u reccomend using the stock mani?

Old 07-03-2005, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

I have a GT28RS on my 1999 A4 Quattro. This is from the ATP kit, including manifold, downpipe etc. The Turbo starts to spool just coming up to 3K rpm and is producing full boost (20psi) at 3.2-3.3K rpm. The kick in delivery is slightly less than a K04 setup (which I had before) but the power is smooth and constant over the rev range.

I am really happy with my setup but, as is the way of things, am looking to improve further (the setup has a bit in reserve as things currently stand).

Currently getting around 320BHP (crank) and 270lbs/ft. These figures were when the car was running 17~18psi and I haven't re-dyno'd yet.

I am getting better internals fitted as I am currently running stock, once these are fitted the boost will be going up a bit and the mapping will be tweaked; it is runing fairly rich at present for safety.

Can't comment on the other setup but for me the GT28RS does what it says on the tin.

Greg

Old 07-03-2005, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

so, based on greg's opinion, itd probally be better to go with a gt28rs setup, due to the fact that it's been out for a bit longer so it has had the experience on the market to get the product right, rather than buying somthing brand new and having to wait for updates to clear up little problems

i think i'v made my choice, god i love this fourm

nebody have any other opinions on the gt2x?

Old 07-05-2005, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

either turbo is a great choice.. it just depends what you're looking for.

the gt2x should be viewed as a monster K04 alternative... it's priced just above a complete K04 kit (appx $2k vs $1500-1900 for most K04 kits) but gives a lot more power and very little difference in lag (18psi on pump gas around 33-3500rpm).

the gt28rs is a state of the art dual ball bearing garrett turbo favorite among 1.8t owners looking for the solid 300hp level also with minimal lag (18psi on pump gas around 36-3800rpm avg)... and it's obviously a bit more expensive.. probably at least $400 more than the gt2x kit.

both would be great track turbos.. neither is a drag racing only turbo.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

This post makes it so hard to decide

Old 07-05-2005, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: GTMA4

This post makes it so hard to decide

oops.. sorry..

i was just trying to help out.. it's not an easy decision for someone who is fairly new to the game.

also, they are tough to pick between because they are both great choices.. i would choose based on what you will be using the car for.. if you're looking for smooth and kickass daily driving with a crazy fast spool, then pick the gt2x .. if you're very performance oriented and need that awesome top end, then pick the gt28rs.

hope this helps a little more.. don't hesitate to ask more questions. it's what we're here for.

/emil

Quick Reply: ATP GT2X VS GT28RS TURBO SETUP