Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assorted problems with the engine and electronics.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Assorted problems with the engine and electronics.

A dozen and one problems to fix...

Maybe this is an exaggeration, but I recently had a lot of problems with my 1998 Audi A4 1.8T FWD.

First, I had my car diagnosed and he found that my boost valve was not operating properly.
The fault code displayed is "04EE/BOOST VALVE OPEN(open) PRESSURE CONTROL".
Apparently it does not always activate on demand. He suggests that I replace it.

Second, the indicator under the speedometer flashes "OIL" everytime I start the car.
I changed my oil 5,000 kilometers ago so I find it strange that the light has turned on despite the fact that the oil is supposed to be replaced every 10,000 kms. I was told that the Oil Level sensor also needs to be replaced.

Third, when I left my car parked in 30degree celsius heat and came back after several hours, the car started weakly and idled below 1,000 rpm and promptly died. This happened 2 more times until i floored the gas upon starting to keep the engine alive. I changed my spark plugs, battery and oil 4 months ago. Why is this happening?

Finally, my key reader does not always recognize my key when I start the car.
The error code displayed is "463A-ENGINE CONTROL UNIT DISABLED/ALARM".
The immobilizer light flashes when i insert the key. What could be causing this problem?

Any advice on the following matters is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Assorted problems with the engine and electronics.

My car always idles below 1000rpm, and my car eats about a half quart every 3000 miles. Dont forget pretty much any motor is going to burn oil, ESPECIALLY a turbo motor. Just because you can go 10,000kms doesnt mean you dont have to add any during that time. Also make sure your using GOOD synthetic, because if your running cheap oil it will burn out in a turbo car really fast.

You may want to actually change the oil to be safe. I had a friend with a firebird whos oil light was doing exactly what yours is doing, and the shop diagnosed it a bad sensor. Then one day he died in the parking lot of our school, we pushed it into the autos class room and I found out his real problem. He had a damaged dipstick which was sliding in further in then it should have, the little plastic handle went up like an inch on the metal bar, thus reading more oil then it actually had. His engine was fried, after adding oil again it ran like crap, no power, and burned a quart every 500 or so miles.