Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asking for honest truths & opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Asking for honest truths & opinions!

Hi, I'm new to this forum!
I'm currently looking for a (used) new car and Audi a4 just caught my eyes..
There is one out near my residence (a dealer) that has 2001 A4 Quattro 5M with 75k original miles for only $6k.
Now I used to have an 09 Civic Si sedan and it was just a beautiful car until I sold it.. Unfortunately this A4 doesn't come with navi like my Si did.. but hey, at least it's a MT!

The thing that sort of *worries me is the reliability.. I'll be honest.. I have no knowledge on Germans cars. All I *heard* from my peers is that german cars (Audi, BMW, Benz) tend to be extremely high maintenance cars especially after 100k.
I've been doing just basic research on the A4 and it sounds like the engine is belt-driven and this belt must be replaced every 50-60k miles..? and same goes with the rubber hoses?

I plan to work on the vehicle myself (IF I do end up purchasing it that is) and considering that I'll do the most, if not all of the maintenance, how reliable & expensive would this vehicle be? I'm already expecting a bit more than a Honda I had, but I'm hoping to hear from you guys. Also, what should I be looking for when I actually go look at this A4 I mentioned about? Of course I'll be test driving the vehicle and checking the basic things such as: clutch, brakes, steering, driver controls, rust, etc. But are there any other specific things I should be extremely careful to look for from an used Audi?
I would really appreciate you guys' input on this. Thank you!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

I think it'd be better if I gave you guys a little more info on this vehicle I'm currently looking at:

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Mileage: 72k
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Trim: Sedan
Color: Silver

*Carfax info says that this is a 1-owner vehicle, no accidents.
*The vehicle looks rather clean for 10+ year old car from the pictures but pictures can be deceiving..

The vehicle is on sale for $6k which I think I can bring it down to a bit.. which I believe (assuming that the condition of the vehicle is good) is a pretty darn good price for German luxury car with low mileage.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

*update*

So I've visited the dealer to check out the vehicle today. For a vehicle that's 10+ years old, it was in a fairly good condition. Yes, small dings here and there but not as much as I expected.
Now when I test drove the vehicle, I noticed 3 things: extremely smooth clutch & transmission, rattling on the brakes when coming to a complete stop, and a check engine light (fixed).

1) Extremely smooth clutch & transmission - Like I've mentioned on the 1st post, I used to own 09 Civic Si. It was a CPO vehicle, so the clutch was practically new. In all honestly, I've never driven any German cars that are manual transmission. I remember my 09 Si's clutch being rather firm. However, when I drove this A4, the clutch was too smooth.. Unfortunately I can't tell if it's worn out or it's just made that way... at least it doesn't slip.. Also with the transmission, it was very very smooth. I know I keep comparing it to my Si, but I remember the Si transmission being not as smooth as this one.. BUT I did not have any trouble shifting the gears whatsoever. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed AWD and was actually rather content with its engine power.

2) Rattling on the brakes when coming to a complete stop - This actually bothered me quite a bit. This was something that I've never encountered before. I was driving at 25mph and was coming up to a stop sign. So I pretty much rested my foot on the brake pedal, and when the vehicle was at around 4-6mph, I could audibly hear somewhat of a spring-like sound from the brakes and physically feel somewhat of the brake slipping off. I know I may sound pretty stupid but it's rather hard for me to explain.. If any of you know the solution to it please let me know..

3) Check engine light (fixed) - I noticed that the check engine light was on when I started up the vehicle. Instead of asking about it before I took the vehicle out, I asked about it after the test drive. The lady who was helping me out came back out with what it looked like a multi-meter and hooked it up to the vehicle (under the left side of the steering wheel). She pressed a few buttons and whatnot, and after about 5 minutes she detached that little equipment off of the vehicle and the check engine light was gone. She told me that the cause of the check engine light was the vacuum hose. I remember reading that the vacuum hose is one of the many hoses that goes out easily.. she told me she'd replace it for me if I was really serious about the vehicle (meaning I'm willing to take the vehicle home by this weekend).

So in conclusion... I really liked the vehicle except a few issues here and there. I want to know if the *issues* I've encountered with the vehicle today are either detrimental or something that can easily be fixed..

Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=bbongR;1462163]*update*

Has the timing belt been replaced? Ask! If they don't know just figure it will need to be done soon. $1500+ at the dealer. Also have them do the brakes. Shouldn't rattle. Drive it again and find some rough roads so you can see if the control arms rattle. You'll know it when you hear it. How are the tires? Make sure the heat blows hot and the AC blows cold. Clogged heater cores are common. Make sure all the doodads work. Headlight washers? Radio/sound system etc. The salesperson just cleared the codes so drive it again and see if you get another CEL. Easy to clear codes without fixing anything. Have them give you a warranty. $4500 would be my top offer but you're the buyer so good luck.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

Thank, I really appreciate your input. Everything seems to work fine. It's just those 3 I mentioned.. So I was wondering is it really normal for the clutch & the transmission to feel that smooth? Also I'll definitely check on the brakes once again. You mentioned that the sales person just cleared the codes.. does it mean there is a possibility that the CEL could be something bigger than just a vacuum hose and belt problems?

Old 01-29-2014, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bbongR
Thank, I really appreciate your input. Everything seems to work fine. It's just those 3 I mentioned.. So I was wondering is it really normal for the clutch & the transmission to feel that smooth? Also I'll definitely check on the brakes once again. You mentioned that the sales person just cleared the codes.. does it mean there is a possibility that the CEL could be something bigger than just a vacuum hose and belt problems?
Re-read my post. What about the timing belt? Critical! Yes it is possible to clear a code without fixing the problem. In fact it's easy and it might take 90 miles or so to get the CEL to come back on. Best thing to do is to get the codes read and printed out. Don't let them tell you everything is fine. Get the codes! if there are any.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 AM
1st Gear

if you had a Honda before and now want to move up in the world by jumping in the Audi world I have two recommendations for you:
1. Either invest in Automotive repair degree or find a friend who really likes you and is always ready to work on your Audi b/c it will brake a lot more that you expected...
2. Win the lottery so you can for all the repairs this thing will need most likely on a weekly basis...
The vacuum leak??? Welcome to the world of 1.8T my friend... you will need a crystal ball to figure out whats wrong with it...
Seriously not scare you completely but those cars require well above the average repairs just to keep them moving... even if they agree to drop the price to $4500 still keep in mind that in about a year or so this thing will need another at least $1500+ just for the timing belt service and so on... and the you are looking again at close to $6000 for your car...
Simple fact that on an average you can do a full timing belt/water pump on Honda will take you about 3-4 hours... on an Audi it will take you than long just to get to the point to where you can see the belt...

Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 AM
4th Gear

I had a 99.5 and sold it with 163K miles on it. Yes, the clutch really is that smooth.

If the TIMING BELT hasn't been done within the last few thousand miles, make them do as a condition of the purchase, as well as the brake issue and vacuum leak.

The control arms, like Huskerbob said, would sound like an old '85 Ford creaking and squeaking over speed bumps and at low speed turning (like in a parking lot).

If you have your own tools, and know how to use them, don't be scared of these cars. Yes, the parts are a little more expensive, but they are amazing. I had my A4 for 4 years before I upgraded to my current S4. My next car will be an Audi as well. I love them that much, and I'm sure you will too.

Oh, the quote in my signature down there \/... it's there for a reason.