Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried "Tork" wheels? (links, pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:05 AM
1st Gear
Default Anyone tried "Tork" wheels? (links, pics)

I came across this manufacturer while searching for wheels. There model line-up is STUNNING looking, and cheap to boot. Of course the trade-off is weight.

Here is the wheel I'm interested in... the Tork Imagine:

http://www.torkwheels.com/tork_imagine_hb.html

They will be going on a 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro (sport). I'm considering them in 19x8 +35, and 19x9 +40. Do these wheel fitments jive?

I emailed the man. to see how much they weigh, since they are so cheap (wheelsnext.com has this setup with tires for $1,999). He emailed back and said the 19x8 weigh 28lbs and the 19x9 weigh 31lbs.

That's heavy. Until I found this:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/232645.phtml

Turns out the STOCK B6 A4 sport wheels are 32lbs!!! yikes!!

Then after searching Tire Rack, found that 3-piece SSR GT3's in 19x8.5 weigh 26lbs, so I suppose they're really not that heavy after all.

Anyone run these or other Tork wheels? Seems to be about a wash in terms of weight, and as long as I'm not adding 10lbs per corner, that's fine with me.

-Adam

Old 07-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Default RE: Anyone tried "Tork" wheels? (links, pics)

They look nice!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: 96audia4

They look nice!
totally agree!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:36 AM
3rd Gear

have you looked on ebay for them?? you might be able to get hooked up phatty status, lol..

Old 07-31-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

always had a soft spot for 5 spoke, as long as spokes are small like those, love them

Old 07-31-2007, 08:30 PM

+1 Those rims are niiiiiice

Old 08-01-2007, 12:02 PM
4th Gear

You said they are 31lbs? So 1 pd lighter than stock.

But the others you mentioned were 26lbs, 6 lbs lighter. That should make a bigdifference, they are considerably lighter.

The wheels look good. Consider getting 18's, they are probably a little lighter, and will look just as good. The rideshould bea little less harshthan the 19 with a superlow profiletire.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear

i like em

Old 08-01-2007, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

The wheels look good. Consider getting 18's, they are probably a little lighter, and will look just as good. The ride should be a little less harsh than the 19 with a super low profile tire.
I did ask about the 18's as well.

18x8 = 22lbs

18x9 = 24lbs

That'd be a nice weight reduction over stock, but I'm afraid they'll look small. I know B7RS4 reps look big in 18's because the spokes go all the way to the edge of the rim. It seems that rims with lips (dished) look smaller over all.

In my opinion, the staggered chrome lips really make a luxury car look like a million bucks. But choosing the wrong size can really kill the look.

My father has a B6 S4 with 18" SSR Comps. They look small, to me, but he's on stock S4 ride height (is that the same as an A4 USP height?).

It's a horrible catch 22. I really want a nice ride (coming from a dumped, swapped Civic hatch), but I don't want my car to look as run-of-the-mill as my 55 year old father's.

My plan is to be on Koni FSD shocks and Eibach Prokits. Those springs lower a stock A4 1.3", but I don't know how much they lower a sport package A4.. probably .5" or so.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Don't sweat the lip idea of thinking it'll make the wheel look small. It doesn't necessarily. Some of the old school wheels that had (for lack of a better term) a "stepped lip" did look smaller, but a dished wheel isn't going to automatically look smaller. My 18" Volk AV3s on my Z looked huge, and that was a big car. I was running 18x8 front, 18x9 rear, with 245-40s up front and 285-30s in the back, and they looked really big, especially with the suspension drop. And really, acetrebo is on the money with the wheel weight issue - the 18s, even if they do "look" smaller, will have a dramatic impact on the dynamics of the car compared to the 19s. Then there's the issue of tire cost - 19s are becoming more common, but nothing like 18s, and you're gonna pay a pretty penny more for the 19" tires (not to mention, you may have a harder time finding them somewhere on the spur of the moment if you blow a tire out). The final consideration (at least around where I live) is the road condition where you are. You obviously want to size your tires so that the rolling circumference is as close to stock as possible, which means a lower sidewall - if your roads suck like ours do, you run the real risk of denting a 19" wheel more than an 18", just because of the smaller sidewall you have to run to keep your rolling circumference close to stock. Think over all the aspects of it, and then make your decision. Plus, take a look at the galleries of other owners' cars - many are running 18" wheels, and they look perfect (my opinion anyhow) - nice and good-sized without looking like they jacked a wild west wagon to get wheels. Too many people go too big on wheels and the cars end up looking goofy because of it.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried "Tork" wheels? (links, pics)