Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with Depo's? Cant get to adjust horizontally.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:34 AM
2nd Gear
Default Anyone with Depo's? Cant get to adjust horizontally.

Well i just got some depos, sealed them up, mounted the balasts etc. Well once i got them in the were too low and offset to the right. I raised them just fine but when i turned the other screw to adjust them horizontally nothing happens..... any ideas?? Thanks

Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Anyone with Depo's? Cant get to adjust horizontally.

I almost drove myself nuts trying to adjust mine when I got them...the left seems lower than the right and there's like a step up in the cut-off of the beam pattern, right? Well, the problem is that the projectors themselves have a cut-off shield and both projectors come with the shield adjusted so that they both produce beam patterns appropriate for the passenger side headlight. If you pull out the driver's side headlight and remove the dust cover, you'll see on one side of the projector a little lever. There's a sticker on the housing telling you the right position and I can't remember what it is, but it's easy...if the lever is up, move it to the down position and if it's down, move it up until it clicks into place. You should be able to do this without taking out the projector, but in case you can't quite seem to, it's really easy to take out with a Phillips head. Just don't touch the lens itself, it's unnecessarily difficult to get finger prints off of it [&:]. You may find that you can't quite get the beam patterns to overlap perfectly and it is tough...if you can't get it with the built-in adjustment dials, you can loosen the screws and move the whole housing a bit, too.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:46 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for your help. Ill have to take a look at that tonight. I remeber there being a point of light that stuck up too high so thats problaby half the problem. However the passenger light especially doesnt seem like its aimed right. Ive turned the screw and it doesnt seem like its really moving. I even turned it with the cover off and it doesnt look like its doing much. Ill just hafta to see what happens when i flip that switch and ill post back.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear

Yep, that switch definetly helped i think... I couldnt figure out what the label was saying with its driver/pass side abbreviations so i just guessed. I think i got the horizontal adjustment it just sucks to adjust because u have to crank it and crank it and it moves so little. I have to use my fingers cause the key on top wont turn it so i have to move it directly on the back (and ripped my fingernail off doing it). The projection doesnt seem very uniform if that makes sense, but i might just need to adjust it a little better. Thanks alot for your help!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 AM
3rd Gear

Well, you should have only adjusted the driver's side and you didn't have to guess, just put the lever in the opposite position.

If you get a beam pattern that looks kind of like this on the road:

________/\_________

...then your levers are each in the wrong position, swap them. You can't get rid of that peak of light. It should look like this (ignore all of the periods):

________. ._________
.............\/

...and you can get rid of that little, lightless triangle with careful adjustment.

If you're handy and you have the right tools, you can remove the projector from the housing and then remove the cut off shield which is shaped like this:

..................._____________
___________/

...and shave off that step up (I don't think you can fold it in such a way that it ends up straight and you definitely want it to be). I tried folding a piece of aluminum over it to make it all the level of the step up and you don't want to do that...you'll lose a surprising amount of light. And anyway, I managed to get mine right by getting the levers where they should be and lots of tweaking.