Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any way to check timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:54 PM
1st Gear
Default any way to check timing belt?

I bought my car from people who were leaving the country. I bought it with 112k miles and it seemed as though if they didnt have to move based on a job transfer...they would have kept driving the car forever. They mentioned a local mechanic that they usually went to when they needed service. All of their stuff was packed up and they didnt have any service records handy...i dont know if they never kept any or had them shoved somewhere...but anyways, the car was strong and everything runs great. The engine has a lot of power (2.8), clutch feels strong, and the body feels solid. The timing belt is a pretty expensive job and before all of you guys start pissing your pants with "omg omg get it done asap omg omg" im just wondering if there are any signs you can notice about needed the belt to be changed. Right now I honestly do not know if it has been changed. When they belt is about totally worn down, will i notice anything that will give me the heads up to go on and do the job?

Old 10-13-2005, 04:53 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: any way to check timing belt?

The guy might have put a service sticker on the hood. Otherwise your guess is as good as ours.

If you know where they get the car serviced, I'm sure they have records.

Otherwise ask the seller. If he says he can't remember, then you can be sure it wasn't done. You might forget when you had something like that done, but you certainly wouldn't forget having it done.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:55 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: david9999

The guy might have put a service sticker on the hood. Otherwise your guess is as good as ours.

If you know where they get the car serviced, I'm sure they have records.

Otherwise ask the seller. If he says he can't remember, then you can be sure it wasn't done. You might forget when you had something like that done, but you certainly wouldn't forget having it done.
$$$$$$$$ leaving = strong memorys.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

Change is now. just be safe. It's a pretty easy job to do if you have a B5

Old 10-13-2005, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Silver98A4

im just wondering if there are any signs you can notice about needed the belt to be changed. Right now I honestly do not know if it has been changed. When they belt is about totally worn down, will i notice anything that will give me the heads up to go on and do the job?
The timing belt isn't a part that fails gradually. It either works, or it breaks (with certain damage to the rest of the engine).

The only way to be sure it's ok, is to change it on a regular basis.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

yeah i have a B5....but I was told it is not an easy job. You have to remove the front bumper...move the radiator, etc in way of the engine....then you must change the belt...making sure there is only so much slack at certain parts and line it up perfectly so that the timing does not get screwed up. The actual part is not expensive...but the labor kills. I don't believe that a novice mechanic could do this himself correctly...there is a lot on the line to mess up.

btw, i have the 2.8l..and i have not found any good DIY's with pics for that engine on how to do it.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:16 PM
4th Gear

contact jest on this one, he has the resorses for the 2.8's

Old 10-13-2005, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Silver98A4
btw, i have the 2.8l..and i have not found any good DIY's with pics for that engine on how to do it.
I found that this particular DYI post from audiworld was great http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng35.shtml

As for possible damage if it breaks - take a look at my avatar

D

Old 10-13-2005, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

I had no idea what the condition of my timing belt was and my mechanic was able to check it for wear...wouldn't having a mechanic check it be the most logical thing? I'd rather have a mechanic check it then panic and spend $750...you will have to do it at some point it time eventually though.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

TRUST ME,, it's not a tough jo, just takes time. just get a set of torX bits from , i think, t12 to t60 and download the DIY guide. I did mine in about 6-8 hours. next time it'll take 2-3 no questions asked. everything is designed to come apart easily! Granted I have a 1.8t, we still have the same car.. OOO get a snub mount for while your in there too!!

Quick Reply: any way to check timing belt?