Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 10:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Another timing belt question

Replacing the timing belt on my 2002 a4 1.8t tomorrow. Ordered the kit from blauparts. Do I need to replace the motor mount bolts when I do this. The only kit that has the motor mount bolts is the deluxe kit from dieselgeek. Does anyone know where I could pick these up or do I really need to worry about it. I realize audi recomends chaning them when doing the tb just wanted to see how many others changed them.

Thanks for your time.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Another timing belt question

might want to upgrade the snubmount while your in there..

Old 10-24-2005, 02:42 AM
3rd Gear

that is just a recomendation, you should be fine as long as none of the hardware has any damage.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:27 AM
1st Gear

So started on the timing belt today. I knew it was going to be alot of work but wow. Started this morning and worked for about 10 hours and still not done. Had a horrible time trying to get the vibration dampner to come off. Should just slide off but mine wouldn't, took about 2 hours before I got it off. Anyways I have a couple of issues and I am affraid I may have messed some things up. Once I get the belt on my camshaft is lined up but the crankshaft is not. I made marks on the crankshaft but once the belt goes on I lose the alignment on the crankshaft. If I put the dampner back on the line up marks are good. Which should I go by.

How can I check my work to make sure everything is ok. Any suggestions would be gratly appreciated.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:48 AM
4th Gear

If you made the marks with the origonal damper on, you should be OK. Turn the engine over by hand to make sure it goes around without the valves and pistons meeting.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:58 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: CRAZYHAWK

If you made the marks with the origonal damper on, you should be OK. Turn the engine over by hand to make sure it goes around without the valves and pistons meeting.
This is going to be a stupid question but how will I know if the valves and pistons are or are not meeting. I have heard that I can remove the # 1 spark plug and when the camshaft is turned to tdc that the valve should be topped out.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:56 AM
1st Gear

quote]ORIGINAL: Once I get the belt on my camshaft is lined up but the crankshaft is not. I made marks on the crankshaft but once the belt goes on I lose the alignment on the crankshaft. If I put the dampner back on the line up marks are good. Which should I go by. [/quote]cdf619

Go by the alignment of the marks as tensioned by the tensioner. With the tensioner active and the timing marks aligned properly, rotate engine two revolutions in running direction and on the last few degrees of rev #2, carefully bring the crankshaft just to the mark at crank aligned and stop. Check the cam sprocket alignment, it should be aligned with its mark also.