Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Amp replacement

The non bose amp is only for the rear deck speakers, they either have them built into the speaker or have a small seperate one like that.
The bose models have an amp that controls ALL speakers, which would hinder your front speakers from working like the tech said.
It doesn't matter if the head unit says bose or not, i can program it either way. What matters is if it says bose on your speaker grilles (AKA on the doors)

Old 10-16-2007, 12:39 AM
1st Gear

So, can you confirm the following?
I can buy the non-Bose amp for the rear speakers which is for 2004 on ebay and it will work with my 2002 A4? As I indicated earlier, I have a non-Bose system, non-Bose speakers (nothing on the door).

Also, if I am reading you correctly, you are saying that the Bose amp will not work in my car because my speakers are not up to par.

Thx.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Site Moderator

No if you have a B5 (96-02) model the rear speakers have the amp built into the speakers, the best thing to do is go to the dealer and feed them your VIN number at the parts dept. and they will look it up on ETKA what you have exactly.
No, the bose amp won't work, it would blow up your speakers probably and the head unit isn't coded for it.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

Ok, this helps. Also, to clarify, isn't my car a B6 (2002, A4, 1.8T)? On another forum, there is a category for B6 A4's (2002-2005) and I have always assumed it as such. Thx.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 AM
Site Moderator

It depends on the manufacture date on the door pillar, you don't know wether you have a B5 or B6????
Please do a search, if you don't know what car you have, how are you gonna know what parts you need.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:27 AM

I was under the impression that there were never any 2002 B5 A4's, only S4's. Isn't 2001.5 the last year for the B5 A4?

Old 10-16-2007, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

There are no 2002 B5 A4's. I have done enough searching, time to call the dealer tomorrow. I will post with what I find. Thx.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

Ok, here is what I was able to find, hopefully it helps someone to help me. Time to check ebay. What is shorting out in my case intermittently is the Antenna amplifier, p/n: 8E5 035 225s. That explains why my CD's work with full bass and the radio doesn't and becomes static'ey when the amp begins to short out. The rear speakers are connected to this amp while the fronts are driven through the HU (I learned something new too). If anyone has a non-shorting amp, I am all ears. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

hey i have the same car. and right now my front speakers are shortening out and its a nonbose i was just wondering what the dealer did to fix it. im about to test the radio, cd effect on my car too to see if the antenna booster is also the culprit the the front speakers shorting out seems to be a loose wire maybe cause if i open and close the doors again they come right back.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: home4sale2

Ok, here is what I was able to find, hopefully it helps someone to help me. Time to check ebay. What is shorting out in my case intermittently is the Antenna amplifier, p/n: 8E5 035 225s. That explains why my CD's work with full bass and the radio doesn't and becomes static'ey when the amp begins to short out. The rear speakers are connected to this amp while the fronts are driven through the HU (I learned something new too). If anyone has a non-shorting amp, I am all ears. Thanks for your help.
Oh damn! I really wish you said it worked fine in CD mode! I would have told you it was the diversity controller from the start! There is a TSB for the AM/FM antenna for cracking, remove the center trim of the back of the headliner (just pops in) and you will see a long circuit board looking thingy. Two radio wires go into it and a ground. Take it out and check the casing for cracks, i guarantee you there is a crack in it.

Quick Reply: Amp replacement