Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Amp replacement

Hi, I have searched high and low (radio, amp, amplifier) on this and other forums but have come up empty. I am hoping someone here can help. Can I replace the amplifier (which is busted, per dealer) on my 2002 A41.8T (non-Bose is all I know) on this car without severe modifications? Please, any comments, suggestions are welcome. Thx.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Amp replacement

you could install an amp on any car.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah, non bose systems don't have an amp, thats probably why your having problems finding it.
What problems are you having anyway?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:26 PM
2nd Gear

the 01's with the non bose had any amp that powered the rear speakers only but it may be different for the 02s

Old 10-15-2007, 11:30 PM

are you sure its a non-bose? im still kinda new but i've never seen non-bose B6, my says Symphony but when i turn it on it displays BOSE, if that's the case look in the trunk passenger side behind the wall.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: BOPOH

are you sure its a non-bose? im still kinda new but i've never seen non-bose B6, my says Symphony but when i turn it on it displays BOSE, if that's the case look in the trunk passenger side behind the wall.
There are B6 A4's with non bose, if it doesn't say bose on the speaker grilles its not a bose system.
The headunit, is universal, you can program it for bose or non bose.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:47 PM

interesting, thanks. i learned something new today

Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

The Headunit says made by Matsushita (Panasonic people?) and it doesn't say Bose. My front speakers are working, the bass is completely gone. As indicated, I also believe the rear speakers are driven through an amp. The dealer was fixing a recurring problem with my front speaker cutting out (since the warranty days) which he says he has fixed (true, the front speakers are working) but unrelated to that he says is the AMP which is shorting out and needs to be replaced ($540). I don't think they did anything wrong because I had noticed problems with the bass before I took it in so I have no reason not to trust him.

Since then, I found a few listings on ebay but they all say 2004 Audi A4 1.8T. I am not sure if that will also work on my 2002 A4. Also, the listing for the Bose is different. I don't mind either or, I just want to make sure I can use them in my car because it is still cheaper than having the dealer do it. Thx.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Site Moderator

If you have problems with the front speakers and the amp is the problem then youHAVE Bose.
Im not sure what your asking, if the amp is malfunctioning you can only replace it with a factory bose amplifire, there is a crap ton of wires going into that amp. Splicing a crap amp won't nearly have the same sound quality.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

Ok, I will call the dealer tomorrow to confirm. One thing I know for sure is that it is non-Bose (I have seen other Audi's where Bose shows up on Display, the speaker grills and so forth so you are right). Why would the dealer tell me that my AMP is shorting out? And why is it that there are two types of AMPS on EBAY (although I have to admit even they are confusing because all the part numbers are the same and the pics are different).

Ex. for non-Bose the amp is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...spagenameZWD1V

For Bose, the amp is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-...spagenameZWD1V

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Amp replacement