Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I choking my 1.8T using a Fram air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 03:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Am I choking my 1.8T using a Fram air filter?

2001 1.8T, 5spd, 61k miles, fresh copper core plugs, fresh oil, only use quality premium gasoline, avg 25 mpg.

Just curious - gas mileage is fine but it just doesn't seem to have the acceleration it used to. Toss the Fram and get a K&N? If you have a K&N how often do you clean it?

Old 10-28-2004, 03:50 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Am I choking my 1.8T using a Fram air filter?

K&N offer no benefits to the factory filter. In fact, you run the risk of damaging your MAF with a K&N. The audi brand (Mann) actually flows the bes and has the most pleats of paper media filters.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:03 PM
2nd Gear

i used a k&n on my audi for 3 years and had no prob. the prob is when people cleen them and put too much oil on it then it will ruin your maf. when i cleened my k&n i put my stock back in( to let the oil dry compleatly) i noticed a slight differance. it seemed like it didn't have the same pick up as just before with the k&n. just my 2 cents

Old 10-29-2004, 02:36 AM
Site Moderator

yep - K&N is dangerous if you put too much oil on. But I used one for 3 years and had no problems.
But the K&N won't give you anything on the butt dyno.

Old 10-29-2004, 07:55 PM

actually the K&N will give you "seat of the pants horsepower" if you think it will. power of suggestion works very well

Old 10-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Site Moderator

LOL - yes it does

Old 10-30-2004, 09:22 PM
4th Gear

i heartd k&n filter doesnt damage anything, but it doesnt add any horsepower

Old 10-30-2004, 10:50 PM

Again its the power of suggestion. if you believe that it will damage your engine and that itll lose hp, then you will feel a loss of power. if you think it will add power than you will feel a gain in power.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

Back when I had my Ls1 there was a bunch of research done flow testing along with contonminant analysis on panel air filters for our cars. The consensis was that K&N actually let through the largest particles, larger particles than a stp paper filter which is basically identical to stock. Again, as someone here stated many people run into over oiling problems with their K&N filters which can ruin the mass air flow sensor by getting the wires greasy causing your a/f mixture to be altered incorrectly. The stock paper filters actually flowed the best. After this testing was done I gave away my k&n filter and warned the person i gave it to about the testing but he was just too much of a sucker for advertising....

Old 03-31-2007, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: David_K

actually the K&N will give you "seat of the pants horsepower" if you think it will. power of suggestion works very well
Take it from OBI WAN. The power of suggestion DOES WORK! (waves hand "this is not the filter you're looking for")

No seriously,

I just puta Fram Air filter in mine and I'm ok with it. Not jumping up and down over the increase in power, of which I'm not sure there is any, just ok. I had a K&N in my 02' Altima and it did make things quicker (at leat I noticed it) but I'm not sure I'll get another one. We'll see I guess

Quick Reply: Am I choking my 1.8T using a Fram air filter?