Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I been over charged by the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:05 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Am I been over charged by the dealer?

point partially taken brewmaster, dealers charge for maximum booked time rate per job based on an average of time spent doing one job under different circumstances.we have forums like this because we can in most cases do the work ourselves,and choose not to go to the dealer.here in calif.they charge $90-120 to just read the check engine light.somebody here said auto zone is free.i have my own as do many others just because of this.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:04 AM
5th Gear

A dealer charging 115 to change spark plugs is criminal... If they want to use flat rates, that's fine... but they don't have to be that high! Charge .5 hours labour for plugs... that's a worst case scenario -- he'll that's even charging to pull the car into the bay.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:28 AM
1st Gear

Ok, tomorrow the dealer will call me ask me what to do. I'm gonna ask them for a discount on the labor rate see if we can have an agreement on that. Can you guys give me a fair labor rate on each parts:

Mass Air Flor sensor: Parts: $138.68 Labor: ??? Mins or hours
Spark Plugs Parts: $61.62 Labor: ??? Mins or hours
Temp Sending Unit Parts: $39.35 Labor: ??? Mins or hours
Hoses(Vacuum) Parts: $11.86 Labor: ??? Mins or hours

thanks again!

Old 02-13-2006, 03:38 AM
3rd Gear

damnnnnnn..... I'd not pay more that $60 laber for all that stuff

If you live in ohio come to columbus this weekend and I'll install them for you for free.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:46 AM

the least they will charge is 1 hour for the lot but knowing dealers like I do they wont negotiate with you, you should consider doing it your self or at least take the offer made by fellow members "you are going to save on parts and labor",

Old 02-13-2006, 03:48 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

A dealer charging 115 to change spark plugs is criminal... If they want to use flat rates, that's fine... but they don't have to be that high! Charge .5 hours labour for plugs... that's a worst case scenario -- he'll that's even charging to pull the car into the bay.

well that would be nice if dealers set there own flatrate but they dont, so call audi of america and bitch at them about it, they just get there flatrate out of a book if audi says it takes an hour to change sparkplugs thats what they charge. some things are more fair than others thats for sure im not gonna argue that. but calling the dealer and asking them to charge a lower labor rate i think is pretty jacked up myself. technicians need to make money as well and asking to pay less takes money out of everyones pockets, im not sure if you guys honestly understand how many people your paying when you pay that high hourly rate at a dealership, if it bothers you that much go to an independent and save that way.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:02 AM

yep I agree there "overheads" are a killer that's why there are so many independents out there, remember most independents are very reputable highly skilled technicians "check them out" and in most cases were trained up by the dealers then left to start their own business due to the low wage the dealers pay the technician and remember you don't always get a qualified technician doing the job at the dealers "they have to train techs you know" and a lot are left to get on with the job unchecked this is when mistakes are made but thankfully it doesnt happen that much, that's no excuse not to take it to a dealer because that happens in most garages as well ( dealers are profit orientated and would rather sell new cars than fix them ) independents do it because they love it and don't have the worry of selling new cars so overheads are lower and they like the money as well

Old 02-13-2006, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

actually ,from being on both sides of an auto dealership,they rely on repair more than the sale of a car.i think huaren missed our point as i do not think they will haggle price.i dont like that they charge 90-120 for what seems like a 10 minute job.checking the engine light,but lets say they go to plug in their snap-on vag-com.and the plug pops out of the cars housing under the steering wheel.they have to open panel and reinstall it.they have to factor in any problem that might arise while doing the "simple" job.thats why they charge an hour.i'm a boat engine and drive mechanic by trade.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:11 PM

lol a bit extreme but I get your drift, that's what companies have insurance for if they did a diagnostic on my car and fried the electronics they will replace the items at their expense

Old 02-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Site Moderator

I didnt read the original post, but based on the subject, yes.