Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aloha everyone! Just picked up an A4 today! Some newbie questions 4U

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 05:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Aloha everyone! Just picked up an A4 today! Some newbie questions 4U

Well, its been a long time since i've visted these Audi forums and this is the first time in this one, so probably nobody knows me. I used to have a APR Tuned 97' A41.8T Quattro before. Anyway, so after I got rid of my 97' which was like 3 Years ago now? I had an Xterra for a while, then a Protege, then had a BMW M3 (which i'm sorry to say was hella fast and kicked my old A4's ***). But today I went to the dealer and picked up my new baby!! 04' A4 1.8T Quattro Avant. Charcoal Grey Color and only 14K miles! Sweet! No pictures yet but i'm sure to be visiting these forums alot from now.

So a few questions since I have been so out of touch with A4's these past few years. I'm sure the 2004 1.8T engine is pretty much the same as I used to have in my 97' except the HP is now boosted up to about 170hp I think. Anyway, here are my somewhat born again newbie questions.

1. Any Hawaii people still on this forum?

2. How do I know if I have the Sports Package? The car looks kinda low and has the 6 spoke S4 looking wheels.

3. What other packages might the car have? I know it has a sunroof, HID's, Power Seats, 6-CD Changer with Bose. Any hints or clues of which package it has?

4. So what chip is good for this car and is it even worth it anymore since the HP is now already increased compared to the old engine? I used to love APR. What kind of HP gains can I get?

5. What the hell is this Charcoal Grey color really called?

6. Are the seats actually leather now or is it still that Leatherette crap?

7. Any suggestions on Turbo Timers? I know my old A4 had problems with hooking one up and still having the factory alarm and door locking features work.

8. Any known issues or problems with this year or similar year car?

9. Do BOV's still not work with these cars and are people going to give me holy hell if I start talking about wanting to put one on?

10. How big is the stock Bose subwoofer and is it only one?

11. Has anyone had success adding an aftermarket Sub and amp to the Bose system?

12. Anyway to make the Fog lights always come on with the headlights?

13. Any other forums you guys recommen or is this one pretty big? (used to go to Audiworld alot but now it seems kind of dead)

14. Any other advice or suggestions?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance! Happy to be back! (here goes the modding bug and all my money again!)

Old 02-07-2006, 06:06 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Aloha everyone! Just picked up an A4 today! Some newbie questions 4U

4- I don’t know if they have a chip for your car but Giac or apr are going to be your best bet for a chip

9- Yes BOV's are STILL BAD for Audi’s

10- I think it’s just the two 6in woofers but I don’t know for sure that’s how mine is in a 99.5

11- Yes got an aftermarket amp and sub in my car, can be done fairly easily with a line level converter and the correct wiring

12- The fog light thing can be done with a VAGCOM im sure

13- Audiworld Audizine and or course the best THIS ONE

Old 02-07-2006, 08:27 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Aloha everyone! Just picked up an A4 today! Some newbie questions 4U

You probably don't have the cold weather package (heated seats, ski bag, heated mirrors, heated steering wheel.)

The seats are likely real leather.

I have an APR ciip. Claimed to give approx 210 HP on 93 octane, about 205 on 91 octane.
If you ever are thinking of going to a K04 turbo, get a GIAC chip, as they will give you a discount when you upgrade to a K04 program.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:34 AM
6th Gear

7. Do you really need a turbo timer? Probably not unless you are racing the thing everywhere and have no time to drive easy the last few minutes of driving.

9. YES! They will never be ok to use in our cars.

13. Audizine, Fourtitude...

Old 02-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Site Moderator

1. Beats me

2. The wheels are a hint, if the struts/shocks are red, you have the sport package

3. Sounds like you might have the premium and sport packages. The cold weather package has heated seats and the ski sack

4. APR and GIAC are the most popular

5. Volcano black

6. Leatherette

7. Turbo timers are pretty useless if you're pushing your car

8. Timing belt, control arms, some other minor things. Make sure to take it to a dealership or your local mechanic to get it checked out before you buy.

9. BOV's are bad. If you mention that you want one, we will ridicule you.

10. It's not really a sub, but I believe the rear speakers are 6.5"

11. Yup.

12. VAG-COM mod

13. tons of them

14. Don't eat yellow snow

Old 02-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Site Moderator

Nice car, i like your sig.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies guys! Keep em coming! Looks like this is a pretty active forum (much more then Audiworld) so i'll stick around.

Oh and no Yellow snow here unless your having a shave ice (snow cone) with Pineapple syrup on it! yum...

Old 02-07-2006, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

i think im the only other hawaii person here. where are you located. i am gettine my 99 audi a4 1.8t paperwork
done hopefully this week. then its going into the hobbyshop by pearl harbor. got work to do on it.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:09 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: toyolla86

i think im the only other hawaii person here. where are you located. i am gettine my 99 audi a4 1.8t paperwork
done hopefully this week. then its going into the hobbyshop by pearl harbor. got work to do on it.
What only 2 of us here? haha...well nice to meet you and congrats on the new ride! You'll love it!

Old 02-08-2006, 03:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Hawaiiannights

Thanks for the replies guys! Keep em coming! Looks like this is a pretty active forum (much more then Audiworld) so i'll stick around.

Oh and no Yellow snow here unless your having a shave ice (snow cone) with Pineapple syrup on it! yum...
What about malasadas man! Malasadas! And teri pork plate lunch with mac salad.

Quick Reply: Aloha everyone! Just picked up an A4 today! Some newbie questions 4U