Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all you cityLED users... my regulator solution to the keep them from burning out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 03:12 AM
1st Gear
Default For all you cityLED users... my regulator solution to the keep them from burning out!

So here it is... the solution you have been waiting for!

As many of you know I'd researched this LED mod for the citylights in ecode housings to death.

From my tests the ultraleds.com 6 bulb LEDs are the perfect match for 6000k xenon mains but they were failing for unknown reasons.

It is my theory that voltage spikes from the alternator when the car is in the upper RPM range was causing them to fail.

Last November at Quattrofest I removed my LEDs until the event was over. I reinstalled them for the drive home and when I checked them when I got home the bulbs were burned out.

I have created a combination voltage regulator/load equalizer that is installed INSIDE the headlight housing.

You splice this circuit inline with the citylight harness and it provides a nice steady output that the LED will love.

I installed a set before my trip to Quatrrofest and I have to report that it works great. I pushed my car hard and easily drove in the 5500-7000rpm range consistently and at the end of the two days the LEDs were still shining bright.

I have tested the regulator circuit to input voltages of 30VDC and the output is stable at 11.8VDC.

If you want a set of these I'll send you a pair for $20 shipped.

For you DIY types here is what you need:

2 - 7812 12V regulators
2 - 220ohm 1 watt or 2 watt resistors
small protoboards for soldering
some wire

Here is a picture of the end result

Old 02-28-2007, 03:16 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: For all you cityLED users... my regulator solution to the keep them from burning out!

nice man you come up with some great stuff

Old 02-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Default RE: For all you cityLED users... my regulator solution to the keep them from burning out!

very cool. it's nice to see another AF member from vancouver!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:28 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Belligerenceâ„¢

very cool. it's nice to see another AF member from vancouver!
You should come out to a meet and say hello.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

Here is an install diagram Fernando was kind enough to draw up for me for his install

Old 03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
4th Gear

my god, you are awesome.. now if i only had city lights, or ecodes for that matter

Old 03-06-2007, 07:19 PM
3rd Gear

MC HAMMERED = MAD SCIENTIST

not to take away for this great invention but any update on the B5 podi sorry if I missed it before.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:46 PM

Now thats cool I was running these but the turbo side light aways went, I ended up putting down to heat but now I may have another option.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

If you want to make your own, here's how you hook it up:

The three pins on the 7812 are numbered left to right 1-3 when facing the front of the regulator. Pin 1 (leftmost) is the input (connected to power source). Pin 2 (middle) is ground, and pin 3 (rightmost) is the regulated output. So the citylight wires go to pins 1 and 2 on the regulator, the resistor is connected across pins 2 and 3, and the LED is connected to pins 2 and 3 (positive lead on 3 and negative on 2).

Optional but recommended, add a 470uf 25v electrolytic capacitor to the circuit to absorb noise and spikes. Also, optional, put a 1N4001 diode in series with the input to protect against damage if the power leads are connected backwards by mistake.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

I was going to post the DIY writeup but the stupid forum software kept erroring out on me so I gave up.

Quick Reply: For all you cityLED users... my regulator solution to the keep them from burning out!