Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm Problem? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 06:31 AM
Banned
Default Alarm Problem? Please help.

I have a 97 A4 1.8T with a factory anti-theft alarm system. I recently bought the car used. I noticed that whenever I insert my key into the driver's door and lock the car, a light horn sound will go off from the trunk area of the car. Does this happen to anyone else?

My guess is that this is the signal telling you the alarm has been activated. However, I was working on getting a seat belt buckle out from under the split folding rear seat (engine off) and left the door open for a long while, and after retrieving the buckles I went to lock the car but did not hear the "alarm horn". While I was getting the buckle loose from under the right rear seat, I touched/tugged(lightly) a wire that was running there. I don't think that I had damaged the wiring. Now the car locks when I insert and turn the key, but I don't hear an "alarm horn" indicator sound anymore.

Can anyone help me with this strange situation? Could this be because I left the door open? or touched some wires? Can you also tell me where the alarm horn is actually located so I can check it out? Also is there supposed to be a flashing light somewhere in the dash to indicate an activated alarm (because I don't see one)?

Please help me with your knowledge of the alarms on 97 A4's. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2005, 06:55 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Alarm Problem? Please help.

if the door is open when the car is locked the honk wont sound. try this. open the door press the lock button it wont sound, now close the door the honk should sound right after closing the door.

does it work now?

there should be a flashing light by the top of the door by the door locking pin. atleast on my car thats where it is. also the lights will flash once when locking and twice when unlocking.

hope this helps

Old 10-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Banned

OMG, it worked! sandman ur awesome. Thanks so much!

Old 04-10-2006, 02:10 AM
1st Gear

hello,
I just bought a 1990 audi Quatro V8 and I hate the alarm I cannot even get out of my car and the dang alarm goes off I really want to turn it off completely making me crazy!!! also having problems with my back windows rolling down? oh another where can I get my oil changed at I knwo alot of question I jsut do not knwo anything about Audi's but sure love mine..lol...
misty