Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for Electronic Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006 | 10:23 PM
|
1st Gear
Default Advice for Electronic Boost Controller

Ok. I have a 2001 A4 1.8t Quattro (auto). Im going to start my upgrades with a GIAC (not sure which one yet or how to do it), a new Force 007 DV, and a new turbo later on(trying to decide between the GTRS Eliminator or the K04).

Now onto my real question. I want to run an LCD displayed electronic boost controller that has a red backlit face on it to match all my gauges and interior lights. And, if possible have a built in boost gauge so i dont have to purchase a separate gauge. Ive searched numerous websites and i cant find one yet, anyone have any suggestions? or possibly a "next best thing" suggestion?

Thanks

Old 11-06-2006 | 02:11 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Advice for Electronic Boost Controller

uhm, good luck with the elims on a tip...but just about any ebc can be taken apart and have the leds replaced with red ones... so find the one you like and either put leds in it, or have someone do it for you... i think there is a guy on audizine that does a real nice job of switching colors and stuff like that

Old 11-06-2006 | 02:15 AM
|
1st Gear

"elims on a tip"?? sorry, either im having a brain fart or i dont know what the technical terms mean since im new.

Old 11-06-2006 | 02:20 AM
Site Moderator

Eliminator turbo on a tiptronic/auto tranny=kaboom -if you dont have a tranny upgrade. The tip tranny cant handle Eliminator power in stock form. You have to get whats called a Level10 valve body upgrade. The tip tranny should be ok with a k04 though, and a tip chip is highly recomended. Tip chip just reduces the lag time between shifts in the tip tranny. Takes the shift time between gears from 1 second to .2 seconds-almost superbike like shifting, as described in the product description. www.awetuning.com sells both the GIAC engine chip and GIAC tip chip, but not the level10 valve body upgrade. Good luck and use the search on all these terms to learn a lot more.
Its Forge, not Force by the way.. Unless Im unaware of some new DV maker???

Oh and about your real question, Ive never seen an LCD-displayed boost controler w/boost gauge. You cant mess with the boost manually too much on these engines anyway, especially the Drive by wire type without going into limp mode. I would rely on whatever boost your ecu is programed to boost at and leave it at that, because with added boost youll need more fuel and timing which you cant manually adjust, easily anyway. If you get a different turbo down the road you can get an manual boost controller to fine tune it, but you cant just expect to dial in 25 psi from a convenient lcd pannel screen in the cabin and expect it to be safe or even possible. If you just up the boost youll run lean and blow your motor unless you have the proper fuel and timing to go along with it.

Old 11-06-2006 | 02:33 AM
|
1st Gear

no your right its Forge, sorry again noobie mistake of mine. ill get better i promise!

Does one chip take car of both the quicker shifts and the engine or do i need the tip chip AND the GIAC chip?

EDIT: Im thinking theres a separate tranny computer from the engine computer?

Old 11-06-2006 | 02:42 AM
4th Gear

i dont know wether it is built in to the basic chip or not of you opt for it

Old 11-06-2006 | 02:43 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Philthykins

no your right its Forge, sorry again noobie mistake of mine. ill get better i promise!

Does one chip take car of both the quicker shifts and the engine or do i need the tip chip AND the GIAC chip?
Well you dont really NEED the tip chip unless you get a K04 or more. It complements the power gain nicely. They are two seperate chips. The engine chip is actually a software flash on 2000+ models and is not a solder in chip like 99 and earlier. The tip chip i believe is a solder on for all years and goes onto the TCU which is located in the passenger side front floor board area. The tip tranny shifts SLOW as youve noticed and the tip chip is beneficial even if the car is completely stock with no engine chip. GIAC is the only maker of the tip chip, and for B5 models (97-01) they are best for the engine chip too. Its very aggressive. Yes you can go APR engine chip and GIAC tip chip. They dont conflict with each other. Most people that drive B5's prefer GIAC over APR or any other chip maker. Check out giacusa.com to learn about the company.

and no, i dont work for giac
ya youre right... Engine chip for the ECU... Tip chip for the TCU. Two seperate controllers.

Old 11-06-2006 | 03:12 AM
|
1st Gear

awesome, thanks, those will definately be my first mods, thanks

Old 11-06-2006 | 03:21 AM
Site Moderator

Itll be a good start.. Be sure to upgrade your diverter valve when getting a chip. search on diverter valve for more info... But its something you can do yourself pretty easily, just held in by 3 hose clamps under the car front passanger side, under the turbo/plumbing. Youll want at least a 710n found online for $35.

Old 11-06-2006 | 03:51 AM
1st Gear

i think you should fine tune your knowledge about what mods go with your car/ mods that are out there, before you go all out and then wish you had done sumthing else.

juust a suggestion

good luck with wutever you chose

Quick Reply: Advice for Electronic Boost Controller