Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice from Audi lovers!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Advice from Audi lovers!!

That's a good looking car, and LOW miles for a '99. I'm (somewhat) in your same boat. Just got a '01 A4 1.8T with 70k miles. I had a carfax and had some other maintenance records, but still ended up having to replace the timing belt, clutch, front brake pads/rotors, and some work one of the ball joints...uggghhhhh! Besides that, get this! Had to take the car to get the emissions done. Hadn't had the car but 12 hours.....the dumb*** "tech" ripped a 5" tear in the drivers seat! I filed a complaint/claim, and they denied responsibility, but offered to pay half of the repair. I'm currently appealing the claim...a-holes!

Trying to get pics posted, not very computer savvy, or knowledgable of mechanics either....sucks to be me! Everything is stock though, and I doubt I have the money to perform all of the mods I hear of on this forum-

Old 05-02-2007, 12:01 AM
2nd Gear

Nice car, you got the sport suspension too.

You can wait until 70k or do the belt now. Doesn't really matter. The PO of my car did it at 65k too.

Here is where I bought my brake stuff:http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...mp;autoModClar=

Good options and decent prices. You can get OEM style Brembo rotors for around $60.
You can also get upgraded rotors that are slotted, drilled, or dimpled for another $40. Stick with either Brembo or PowerSlot.

Pads, get some ceramics, they have very low dust. Hawks are good. I personally bought the Akebono Euros. Check to see what type of sensor connector you have on your front brake pads before purchasing.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:30 AM

To be honest i dont know much as of now about the A4, was reading manual today to get to know all electronics and gadgets. Hope to learn all very soon ... How did you know i got sport suspension, just curious? Also the brake pad line which is shown as "(O)" is lighting up, so i guess i need to get brake work done asap. Also anyone who has the same car, what kinda gas milage are is the car giving you?

Thanks for all the input guys..
d3

Old 05-02-2007, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear

Now I am starting to wonder actually. Those seats don't look stock. You have wheels that come with Audis with the sport suspension option, however you got an awful lot of gap between the wheel and the fender. Take a look at pics of my car in my gallery to see what stock B5 with sport suspension looks like. I wonder if the PO changed out your seats and put sport wheels on a stock A4. To know for sure if you have sport suspension, look in behind the wheels and see if your shocks are red. Red shocks = sport suspension.

I think that symbol means worn pads. Does it squeel when stopping at all? Yes get them done.

I average 21 - 23 MPG on premium. I do have a heavy foot though.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:05 AM
2nd Gear

And I think that is a '99 1/2. Steering wheel indicates it a sport model too. Great milage though... but how much $ was it?

Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 AM
3rd Gear

GOODNESS GRACIOUS.... lol, those seats come in some of the 2.8's, its an option from the factory, theyremore sporty and just like the s4 seats but some s4's have suede inserts.And I dont think you have sport suspension, you have too much of a gap for that to be sport suspension. And the wheels were probably changed from the previous owner or the audi factory put them on when the car was brand new so they could jack up the price another 2 grand (happens all the time, i work for a dealership).

Are your headlights HID xenons or just projector lights? I'm assuming with all the other equipment and options on your vehicle that they will be HID's. Also, did your car come with the celebration package (moonroof, homelink system, etc). Good choice on the 2.8, its not as mod friendly but it truly is a lot "nicer" of a car than the 1.8

For some quick advice that would make your car really stand out more for no more than 20 bucks.... Do the clear corner mod (its free) as well as de badge the rear (everything but the audi rings) and go ahead and paint your lowers (20 bucks total at most)... this is all very easy stuff and its all free as well. Also, when you paint the lowers, I would suggest painting the chrome trim around your grille the same color as your car (silver). trust me, do those 4 things and it will look like a completely different car. After the free mods I just listed all you need is a drop and some rims and your car will be rediculous. Trust me, Ive had two audi's and from stock to just the free mods it looks like a completely different car. Good luck and good choice on the 2.8

Old 05-02-2007, 02:22 AM

Hey AteUrV8,
Thanks for the input,but sadly most of the stuff you said went over my headlol... I have been reading the forum for the past 3 hours trying to get as much info as i can, but it seems most of the people like the 1.8 rather than 2.8 and understandably also. I would have gottenthe 1.8 alsoif i knew much aboutmodding and had alot of cash on hand, but went safer for a reliable 2.8. I will for the most part keep the car stock, with minor mods such as exhaust and intake maybe later on.
Also i dont think i have sports suspension, and the lights are regular ones. Might get the xenons later on also . But for now i need to get the break work done, along with taking the car to my mechanic and have a look at it all around to make sure i dont need to spend any money on anything else. Once that is done i will get my tints done, then will think what to spend money on lol...
Anyways as for what you said, what do you mean by clear corner mods? and what are lowers[&:]??lol sorry for the noobishness

Thanks for all the advise guys...
d3

Old 05-02-2007, 02:35 AM

Hey TDRILL,
i dont think i have red shocks lol, so i guess no sports suspension. As for pads they are not squeeling yet, but i would just go ahead and get them done while i have cash on hand lol... i think will need to change rotors also. So get that done and out of way before i move towards tint ... Also, i only went 50 miles and my car has already eaten 1/4 of tank :|... dont know if this is normal or what, i guess will have to wait till tank empties to know exactly what the milage is...
d3

Old 05-02-2007, 07:13 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: d3m0nz3y3

Hey AteUrV8,
Thanks for the input,but sadly most of the stuff you said went over my headlol... I have been reading the forum for the past 3 hours trying to get as much info as i can, but it seems most of the people like the 1.8 rather than 2.8 and understandably also. I would have gottenthe 1.8 alsoif i knew much aboutmodding and had alot of cash on hand, but went safer for a reliable 2.8. I will for the most part keep the car stock, with minor mods such as exhaust and intake maybe later on.
Also i dont think i have sports suspension, and the lights are regular ones. Might get the xenons later on also . But for now i need to get the break work done, along with taking the car to my mechanic and have a look at it all around to make sure i dont need to spend any money on anything else. Once that is done i will get my tints done, then will think what to spend money on lol...
Anyways as for what you said, what do you mean by clear corner mods? and what are lowers[&:]??lol sorry for the noobishness

Thanks for all the advise guys...
d3
lol my bad man... the clear corner mod is when you take out the amber piece thats inside your headlight housing. It honeslty makes the car look 7 years newer and just looks way better. And the lowers on the car are the greyish pieces on your front bumper, side skirts, and rear skirt. Its the bottom pieces that are grey, when you paint them the same color as your car (instead of leaving them grey) it makes the car look waaaaaaaayyyyy nicer, especially ona silver car. And the grille, if you paint the chrome trim around your grille the same silver as your car, it just looks a lot better, it flows a lot better with the car. And de-badging the back is when you take the 2.8 and the a4 symbol off, it gives the car a way more stealthy look and way newer and just a lot cleaner.

And as far as your headlights, when you turn them on do they have a blueish tint to them, or are they just plain white?? Because xenon HIDs came on most 2.8's from the factory because again, you did get the more expensive a4. That woodgrain and chrome window trim along with the real leather seats and every option all the 1.8 guys dont have is just priceless... When a 1.8 owner gets in my car all i hear "whoa i didnt know they had this..." hahaha, priceless..

Old 05-02-2007, 02:50 PM
2nd Gear

YEs all the mods AteurV8 said or "free mods" you can do a search for them and find write up and how to's every where, you can also look at cites like audiDIY.com and audizine.com etc. all have members that do writeups. Hope this helps make your car your own.

Question i did the de chrome and now my grill has alot pits in it from the road i have to pull it off again to paint it AGAIN, but what type of paint would work best and is there a color match to the light silver in that paint i might as well color match since i am going to paint the lowers

Quick Reply: Advice from Audi lovers!!