Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accident already

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 03:46 PM
1st Gear
Default accident already

I've only had the car two weeks, and someone's already hit it. And the worst part was, it was a friend of mine.

I was following her to a club when she pulled into a parking space, or tried to anyway. She lined up poorly, taking up two spaces. I was right behind her and planned to take the spot next to her, but I couldn't because she was covering them both. So without looking she throws the car in reverse and smashes into my front driver side fender. Those of you have been in a car crash know how loud it is. I get out, expecting the whole thing to be dented in.

Nothing. There is no damage to my car's body. This was at midnight, in the heavy rain, so I figured I couldn't see anything and in the morning I might notice the scratches. Her Honda Accord has a cut in it where my rim pushed through, along with scratches from the metal. Apparently my 9" wide wheels stuck out far enough to be the first and only thing she hit. (there are a couple small ticks in the rim now, but nothing I can do about it, it's like something you'd get if you bumped the curb.)

So we're going to leave, and I discover that I'm driving straight with the steering wheel crooked. My alignment is seriously shot. I pull over into a brightly lit gas station and find that the top of the left front wheel is sticking further into the car than the bottom, and when the right wheel is straight, the left one is turned to the side like 15 degrees.

Since it's now 2 in the morning I left my car at the station and she drove me home. Yesterday I dropped it off at a repair shop, limping it the two miles it took to get there.

I find out today how much it's going to cost. Hopefully it's just a simple alignment.
(pics of my car are in the "New Member, lighted pedal question" thread, if you are interested)

Old 08-16-2004, 03:55 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: accident already

I hope you didn't bend control arms.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:43 PM

Bent control arms are alot of fun, even more fun if you are doing the replaceing!

Old 08-16-2004, 06:31 PM

just curious what kind of rims do you have that are 9" wide

Old 08-16-2004, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

that sucks joey....wish i had some inspirational words for u, but im at a loss. hope you don't think all women are such spastic drivers! good luck and let us know what happens. [sm=imsorry.gif]

Old 08-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Site Moderator

I know how you feel. Sucks to have your car hit after just getting it, or after having stuff done to it.
I doubt its just a simple alignment problem. Hopefully its more like just a bent/broken tie rod end.
A bent control arm is not the end of the world, but it costs around $550 to have one replace.

I feel for ya

Old 08-16-2004, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Estimated cost for replacement Audi parts: $690
Estimated cost after tax, labor, and wheel alignment: $900
Out of pocket cost for Joeypants: $0
Guilt felt because my friend has little money: $900 worth
Anti-Guilt because her parents have lots of money: -$900 worth
Current vehicle: Father's Mercury Villager Sport
Coolness Rating: 0.7

Old 08-17-2004, 01:00 AM
4th Gear

Atleast its the sport, hehe.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:35 AM
1st Gear

at least it's not coming out of your pocket! when i was 17, i had my first car (a brand new honda prelude) and before it even had close to a thousand miles on it, my friend took it out drunk while i was sleeping and wrapped it around a pole, and on top of that, got arrested for drunk driving. he paid for all of the repairs, obviously, but i had to concoct some stories about where my car was b/c i was 17, and i don't think i would have kept that car had i told the 'rents that my drunk friend crashed it and then was arrested with a DUI. keep ya head up joey....it will be better than new sooner than u think, and i bet this chick will look twice before slamming it into reverse!!![sm=smiley4.gif]