Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to make the switch. Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:43 AM
1st Gear
Default About to make the switch. Help needed!

Hi everyone i have been doing research (trolling creepy style) for a while here on your forums looking for answers to my questions and finally signed up so i could ask my 1st question; I have been driving an 02 s80 blk on blk (i love blk on blk) and have the opportunity to purchase 2 different a4 avant quattros. One is a 3.0 02 with 35k miles on it and the other is 04 1.8 turbo with around the same millage. The reason i want tot trade in the S80 is because i'm closing in on 50k miles and i kind of need the wagon aspect to fit my amp in (im a musician and when we aren't on the road in the bus i still need to get my amps from studio to studio and was recently given a French Bulldog so i need a little room for that too). The s80 is great,i paid it off in 7 months and honestly, im getting kind of bored of it. I think im the only guy under 40 to drive this thing. i loved it at 1st but since i didn't get the turbo i found it boring... maybe i should have gotten the s60 turbo or the v70 turbo but i have also found that the service i get over at the volvo dealer.... anyway, this is my story and any help with my choices would e greatly appreciated. I went into Rusnak (pasadena) and felt very welcomed there... also, seeing that rs4 as well as the 25th anniversary v8 with carbon fiber trim made my pants uncomfortable... Ok, so if anyone wants to chime in with, tips, experiences, points in the right direction feel free, i don't wanna lose this opportunity!

Thanks so much for reading through all of this and for replying if you do choose to,

Best
sad pandas!

Old 08-27-2006, 04:19 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: About to make the switch. Help needed!

Well, here's the breakdown, in my opinion:

02 A4 Avant 3.0 - Good power.
Reliable.
Really no room for mods to make it go faster.

04 A4 Avant 1.8 Turbo - Newer than an '02 model.
Good power - not as much as a stock 3.0.
Better gas mileage than the 3.0.
Many mods available to make it much faster than a 3.0.
Reliable - but not as reliable when you do heavy mods, like a bigger turbo and lots of boost.

Any questions?

There really isn't a bad choice here, they are both great cars.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Site Moderator

RLB6 is right on.

It all depends on whether you plan on modding it or not.

PES does have a supercharger out for the 3.0 for $5300. Compared to the price of a turbo kit, that's really not bad. You can expect to pay $2800 for a turbo kit, $1000 for a good front mount intercooler, and another $500 for other parts you'll need. The supercharger also makes around the same hp with no lag.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

Hey you two,

Thanks so much for the quick replies. The 02 3.0 with 35k or so miles on it is around 23k, the rims have some serious rash on it and there is a scratch on the front quartter panel that i'm sure can either be penned or painted in... do you guys think the price is right or a bit on the high side? I am pretty sure i'm going to get raped on the trade in of my beloved and always faithful volvo s80... sigh. The avant is still on the lot (i did a drive by this morning) so hopefully you guys will have an answer about the pricing for me soon.

Also, Bacon, i had no idea there were superchargers out there for naturally aspirated cars so that is definitely something to think about and when you compared the prices of both scenarios they do come out to be roughly around the same. When putting a supercharger in how much less reliable does it make the car? I guess when doing anything that extensive to a motor its going to have some quirks and probable 'strangeness' (technical term learned from my father ) so scratch that question....

So, anyway, thanks so much for the valuable info you guys! It will be quite an adjustment going from my boat (the s80) to the smaller and more 'cozy' avant a4.

Pandas

Old 08-31-2006, 04:54 AM
1st Gear

Ok so i did it. i got rid of the volvo (got a little raped but i dont care!) there are a couple cosmetic things that the dealer will be taking care of and i have only driven it about 5 miles so far and it is SICK!. i got the 3.0 blk on blk a4 avant.... oh boy am i happy!!!! anyway, i cant believe the way the thing lookss!!! sensual i say sensual!!!!

love
pandas

Old 08-31-2006, 05:00 AM
5th Gear

congrats man, now its time to SC that beast

Old 09-01-2006, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Supercharger is on the list but i need to get some decent looking rims for the little lady with a bit of a lip on em. i have been lookin around the a4mods website and have seen some great ideas... I just got the windows tinted yesterday; 20% all the way around.... it just keeps looking better and better.

Anyway, thanks so much guys for the push in the right direction. Im so glad i didnt get the volvo v70t or r or a bmw wagon... this thing is just unreal how good looking it is..

P to tha A

Old 09-02-2006, 01:49 PM
4th Gear

Conrats man.

Lets see some dang pics of that lady!

I am sure we'll be seeing you around this forum then. Welcome.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:56 AM
1st Gear

Ace,

I will be getting a new camera to take pictures of the new car some time next week... no better excuse right? I will have them up as soon as i can decide on which camera to purchase. The lady would like an easy camer a to take pictures of our French Bulldog with and i want one with some 'extra manual' features for the night shots and what not... kidding here. I need a good camera because the one we have now is just too old its a 3 mp Canon Powershot from the 1800s so we are overdue. Ill get em up asap and thanks for the warm welcome and greeting. I just did an 'introduction' over in the intro forum too so hopefully there will be some like-minded people, such as yourself, that will welcome me! Anyway, I should post a question as soon as i do a bit more searching on a 'high pitched beep' that came on a couple times the other day but haven' heard it since.... Okay, off to the advanced search function with me and hopefully i can figure this one out on my own.... I wish i would have looked in the glove box to MAKE sure there was a manual before i drove off the lot now i have to drive back out there for it.... bummersville.

pandas