Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 vs RSX-S Please help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 05:05 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 vs RSX-S Please help me decide

O.k here is the deal, currently I have a 1999 maxima. And within 6 months I am plannig to buy a different car. I narrowed down my choices to A4 or RSX-S. I have around 12 grand to spend. I love the Audis, but only thing I am worried about is the problems that people say they are having with these vehicles, unreliable, timing belts breaks, etc.

Anyway I was just wondering what is better for me to get A4 1.8 T 5 speed and then chip it or get RSX-S, what would be faster,reliable and more bang for the buck

Thanks, all comments and suggestions are much appreciated

Old 12-11-2005, 05:46 AM
Default RE: A4 vs RSX-S Please help me decide

dude..cmon. You're in an audi forum, of course we're gonna say Audi,lol. To me, reliability reflects the owner, not the car. You take care of it, there won't be much problems. Oh and it's awd so thats always a +.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:54 AM

As a longtime loyal Honda owner and also an owner of an '02 A4 I think I can provide some insight on the matter. My wife came into a great lease deal on the A4 around 18 months ago which was too hard to pass up. It's a nice car but we've had nothing but problems with it...several recalls,an oil starvation problem, the CEL light has come on more times than I care to remember. If it isn't one thing it's something else. And never in my life have I seen a vehicle eat P/S fluid like this thing. When it's running properly it's a very pleasurable car to drive. However, the constant problems are infuriating.

Give me a Honda any day of the week!

IMO, the decision's a no-brainer...get the RSX.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:13 AM
Zombie Defense Force

slow unless u turbo, not much power

Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 AM
1st Gear

How can you even compare a A4,a heavy 4-door saloon,with a sporty coupe such as a RSX?

Old 12-11-2005, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear

How ironic!

I have an Audi and my friend has a RSX-typeS. The thing is bloody fast compared to my Audi. He has the thing lowered with coil-overs and has a intake manifold and exhaust. But even when the RSX-typeS is stock is pretty fast + its a 6-speed man!

I love Audi, but on a tight budget I'd go with Honda products/Acura, they will be more reliable

Old 12-11-2005, 12:59 PM
2nd Gear

What car you get really depends on what you want out of it. The audi is slow stock, but has much greater potential, with money. The rsx-s is quick and fun to drive stock. A chipped fwd a4 could hang with a type s. As far as reliablity goes, the honda is going to be more reliable. I used to have a modded gsr sedan and I loved it. But, in the audi, you dont need to go fast to get respect, you already have it when you pull up to the party and its one of the nicest cars there. I have an a4 w/ an upgraded turbo, and there is no way i would want a type s after this thing. Good luck on your decision.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:34 PM
3rd Gear

Well, an A4 in your budget range would not be a 2002, for one thing. Sounds like you got a lemon, headknocker. Audis have more problems than the RSX will, but it isn't as horrific as you make it sound. The timing belt (actually the tensioner) will only break if you neglect to change it when you should. Oil sludge can be avoided with a healthy oil change schedule and the larger oil filter. Control arms and tie rod ends are suspect on A4s, at least 96-01 A4s, but the TREs are inexpensive and easy to replace, and the control arms are covered under warranty on some cars. The engine itself will never die on you.

I can't comment on the A4 vs RSX-S debate, because I've only ever driven the A4. I like mine, though. I wouldn't trade it for a FWD coupe, that's for sure. It will probably come down to what you need in a DD.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

A4.

It depends on the image you want to portray to others as well... being in my 20's, I'd MUCH rather someone see me in an Audi than an RSX. ALSO... (this is completely just one aspect of this battle) I have gotten a RIDICULOUS amount of compliments from females because I own an Audi too... they are like... OH WOW. YOU DRIVE AN AUDI?

I wouldn't trade that for the world hahahaha... oh and I would choose a turbo car over a sweet "v-tec" any day of the week. Whem it comes to class, ride, image, modding potential, handling... the A4 wins in my book.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

This is a tough decision, no doubt! Like many people have stated above, you get insane respect with an Audi. No one realizes I only paid $11,500 for my car. last time I went home I went to a party and couldn't beleive the number of people that walked up and said "Man, who's Audi is that." People don't realize how affordable they are because there are so few on the rode. I can honestly say I've never seen another B5 in my hometown and see very few here at college in Tuscaloosa.

On the other hand, RSXs are everywhere. Many are not Type-S but still. I've got a friend with a silver Type-S, he's got coilovers, tinted tails, HIDs, and the new RSX 17s. The car is fine and it's quick however I hate the fact that not only is it FWD it also doesnt have a LSD. Putting power to the ground in this car is going to be so much more difficult than in a quattro A4.

Reliability, the Acura wins hands down there's no way to argue that. As long as you take care of you're A4 though you shouldn't expect any major issues.

Lastly, unless your getting a B6 or a type-s with very high mileage, a B5 is all you can afford anyway.

Quick Reply: A4 vs RSX-S Please help me decide