Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Starting Problem :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A4 Starting Problem :-(

Searching through some posts, I am thinking crank sensor as well. Is there any way to test it? Would the crank sensor just cause no spark? I saw on one of the posts that it would also cause no fuel, is that true?

Old 12-02-2007, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE - 12/02/07 5:42PM: I just bought a code reader and found these:
Codes:

P0123 Throttle/Pedal Pos.Sensor A Circ High Input 16507
P0501 Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance 16885
P1426 Tank Vent.Valve Open 17834
P1544 Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Signal too High 17952

BUT, please keep in mind that I did try to do some things to the car, so from yesterday to the time I checked the codes, I tried to crank the car with the airbox off, etc... One funny thing is that the TPS sensor does make a loud humming sound when the key goes to the ON position for about 20 seconds. Is this normal?

Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM

I'd probably check your timing belt. The reasons for no spark being created is from the pistons not being able to reach there peak and create the spark energy that forces them downward again. Either that or check your rods. It's not crazily uncommon to see ends of rods just shot.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: mschwister12

I'd probably check your timing belt. The reasons for no spark being created is from the pistons not being able to reach there peak and create the spark energy that forces them downward again. Either that or check your rods. It's not crazily uncommon to see ends of rods just shot.
It seems like you almost know what youre trying to say... But not. It seems like you are refering to an engine that has a distributor for ignition. These engines have coil packs, so it can crank all day without a spark. Then it seems like you are talking about a combustion cycle, which istn even happening sice the engine wont start. Internals like rods are not problems with most post 1970 engines unless you haveserious modifications with a bad tune, or 900k miles.

Honda- Clear the codes and try cranking several more times and then check for new codes.

Checking the timing belt isnt a bad idea. There are 2 clips that hold the top timing belt cover on. Slide the 2 hoses that run in front of the cover up and out of the way and then get to the clips and check it out. You should have a cam shaft pos sensor fault code though if the belt snapped.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:20 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Honda- Clear the codes and try cranking several more times and then check for new codes.

what do you mean by codes? And how would you check them.?

Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Site Moderator

Fault codes/DTC (diagnostic trouble code). 96 and newer cars have an on board diagnostics(OBD) port that you hook up diagnostic hardware to. If you have a check engine light, you hook up an OBD2 scanner and it points to what control module or sensor is reporting errors. There are codes/#'s that relate to different parts. You need to retrieve/scan the code from the ecu and start searching about what the code(s) mean, and what they normally indicate on Audi specefic cars. Vag com is software you can buy for your laptop to check/clear codes and do so muc more with for DIY kind of people. All you need isa lap top, the software and the OBD2/USB (or serial)cable.

More stuff on that topic.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

It seems like you almost know what youre trying to say... But not. It seems like you are refering to an engine that has a distributor for ignition. These engines have coil packs, so it can crank all day without a spark. Then it seems like you are talking about a combustion cycle, which istn even happening sice the engine wont start. Internals like rods are not problems with most post 1970 engines unless you haveserious modifications with a bad tune, or 900k miles.

Checking the timing belt isnt a bad idea. There are 2 clips that hold the top timing belt cover on. Slide the 2 hoses that run in front of the cover up and out of the way and then get to the clips and check it out. You should have a cam shaft pos sensor fault code though if the belt snapped.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I actually did check the timing belt. It seems to be fine. The cam does turn without slipage from the belt. I tried cranking a few times after I cleared the codes and no new codes appeared so far. Does anyone know how I can test the cam/crank sensor with a multimeter?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

It sounds like the crank position sensor to me. Mine went and it did not throw a code. I was getting spark sometimes but it was WEAK yellow spark. Other times I wouldn't get any. But either way,the car would not start.
At this point it may be worth it to buy a used CPS and pop it in. Good luck.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:50 PM

throttle positioning sensor? possibly my dads car did that, it spittered and sputtered then quit, he had to pump the hell out of it to keep it running, thought it was fuel filter so we changed that, drove good for a day and quit again... make a long story short we changed the TP sensor and no more problems...

Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: crayzdavy

It sounds like the crank position sensor to me. Mine went and it did not throw a code. I was getting spark sometimes but it was WEAK yellow spark. Other times I wouldn't get any. But either way,the car would not start.
At this point it may be worth it to buy a used CPS and pop it in. Good luck.
CRAYZDAVY, did you have fuel though? I am still trying to figure this out since some say that a bad CPS will also cause no fuel AND no spark, where as I just have no spark. It might not be the case for our cars though.

Quick Reply: A4 Starting Problem :-(