Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 broke down

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A4 broke down

Hi everyone,

First off thanks for all of the support with this thread...appreciate the help...

Ok, so the service consultant calls me at around 11:00 am and tells me that they jump started the car and that it may be just a batter that needs replacement. Total cost: 225 + 125 (fee i paid for them just to look at my car and diagnose)...Regardless I did not authorize the batter change, until they fully checked the vehicle...

He then called me 3 hrs later and told me that I needed to replace the fuel pump. He said it would cost 825 (+125). I tried to be as polite as possible, and told him that I was only 2000 over warranty and that if they can help me out, since I was happy with the car (before this), and that I was a leasing customer (due to lease again)...

The consultant then went on to say that his manager was out on vacation and it was the worst time for me to have this happen?!??!?!? I asked him if there was another person in charge...And then he became persistant that I get the work done. As a result, of this I did not authorize any work...

I called Audi of America, I explained my situation, they were very kind over the phone, they placed me on hold called the dealership. Audi of America then told me that I should get a call back soon from the dealership to see if they would cover the repairs under warranty....

I don't know guys, my gut feeling says that my fuel pump is ok...The service guy has been a complete jerk to me so far. It's weird how when my car was under warranty they were bending over, it seems as though right now they don't care...

Old 08-22-2005, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

hey docurley, where did you get your body kit?

Old 08-23-2005, 02:20 AM
1st Gear

I had the same thing happen... it was my FMIC ..a hose had come off....major boost leak. and the car would not stay running.. I unplugged the MAF and went on m y way...the dealer fixed it for me....nice eh?

Old 08-23-2005, 02:27 AM
4th Gear

This is something your going to have to get use to, one time my car was down for 6 weeks and 3 days.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Get used to? The car is not even 3 years old and the Fuel Pump went out? All dealer service done on time, always pumped premium fuel...I pretty much babied this car, I totally love the car...Just unfortunate what happened, especially on my home from Vegas getting stuck in the middle of nowhere...

ORIGINAL: audiboy1618

This is something your going to have to get use to, one time my car was down for 6 weeks and 3 days.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:28 PM
5th Gear

haha, audiboy blew a motor or something... so his experience is nothing like yours. don't worry about it. Keep babying your car, and it'll treat you well. I hope audi pulls through for you.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

Headshok,

Audi of America has been awesome with me...They are handeling everything with the dealer...however the dealer itself has been a total nightmare, Audi of America told me that they should contact me within the hour for a decesion (if they will honor the warranty)...It's 2 1/2 hrs and counting...Arghhh...I have a headache...

I'll keep you guys posted on the latest developments in this saga...While I determine how I am getting home from work
ORIGINAL: headshok2002

haha, audiboy blew a motor or something... so his experience is nothing like yours. don't worry about it. Keep babying your car, and it'll treat you well. I hope audi pulls through for you.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

Hi guys,

Sorry to keep bumping this thread...BUT the situation seems to have been resolved.

** AFter 3 phone calls to Audi of America, the dealership FINALLY decides to call me back. The solution: Audi will pay 75% of the repair, and the customer will have to cover 25%.

To be honest with you...I accepted the offer only because I am exhausted from making so many phone calls to dealership/towing comapny/Audi of America/Friends to pick me up from work, that I just want my car back...

Estimated repair for 03 Audi Fuel Pump and new battery: Around 800 bucks...

Good luck guys, and thanks to EVERYONE for your help in this soap opera...LOL

Old 08-23-2005, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Yeah this is most likely a MAF (mass air flow sensor/meter) that is causing your problem. The previous post about MAF is spot on.

I am not sure if anyone has pointed this out in previous post but running at 80-85 in Vegas would be considered an extreme climate. It is a desert and will suck the fluids right out of your radiator etc.

In addition, desert air is highly particulated with ultra fine debris that you will not find in a a normal environment. Perhaps if you researched problems with vehicles in this climate condition you would see that this is a strong possilbe problem i.e, Baja racing.

AWOL

Old 08-24-2005, 04:59 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

With how suddenly it came on... hmm. Had you recently filled up with gas? Sometimes a bad tank of gas can do what you described... but it is very very rare.

Not that rare.... It has the symptoms of water in the petrol tank. What happens is that gas is oil based & the wather water sits at the bottom of your tank, as you drive along it will suck up a bit of water and have a "heart murmer" then it will be ok then, then it will cut out.
Two ways to fix it... completly drain your tank...... or add 2 litres of metholated spirits to a full tank. Metho absorbs water... gas doesn't.

Quick Reply: A4 broke down