Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 b6 vibrates hard during idle?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: A4 b6 vibrates hard during idle?!?

Don't change the coil packs. Misfires would cause a CEL to come on.

It could be a dirty throttle body causing rough idle, but then you would see your RPM bounce around.

Could be bad motor mounts. Another possibility is that the previous owner has changed the engine snub mount. If it isn't installed properly, or your car is a tiptronic, it will cause a lot of vibrations.

How many miles on the car? Any mods?

Old 06-07-2007, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the responses so far. The car has 63,000+ miles on it w/o any mods...as far as I know...the dealer didn't say anything about mods. It's currently still with the dealer. Part of the deal was for them to remedy this annoying vibration before I give them a dime. I do hope they find waht's wrong with it. With your responses I get a better idea on what to expect instead of them coming with something bogus that they can scam me on. Anyway, I hope it won't be too costly to get this remedied...

Old 06-07-2007, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

..and oh yeah, the enigne light was not on or when I pressed the "engine" test it only registered problems about the rear taillight bulb. So everything seems norlam except when I start the engine and I can feel it vibrate vigorously. It almost makes me assume that this will be a problem car that many others have warned me about Euros...hopefully it's a problem with an easy solution...

Old 06-07-2007, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

1.8Ts tend to vibrate some at idle. Mine does too. I used my VAG-COM to adjust the idle trim up 20 RPM or so, that seemed to help. Seems like the default idle (780-800 rpm) is right at a resonant frequency that just makes the whole car shake.

What kind of engine does your Jeep have? The more cylinders, the less the car tends to shake at idle. Maybe you're not used to a 4 cylinder?

New plugs, check for vacuum leaks, run some injector cleaner, clean the throttle body and do a TBA, those things can help.

BTW, that "check" button doesn't really check anything at all. It just displays some of the messages that can appear in the display when something isn't right, so you can familiarize yourself with them. Such as low washer fluid, burned-out bulb, low fuel, coolant, battery etc.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

i f*ckin love your car (TheGuy)....the white is gorgeous. You've done a lot to it, why not paint your lowers and add S4 door blades?

LampyB.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:43 AM
2nd Gear

As you can see there are lots of potential things your only saving grace is that its dealer problem now and it will be one until it gets fixed, if you get a 30 day warranty go get the car looked at by people who find s**t wrong for a living and then bring it right back and say fix it PLEASE with a dirty smile cause your saving $$

Old 06-07-2007, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

i have a snub mount installed on my tip, yes it does vibrate more, but i have something rattling around that makes a racket because it's vibrating a little more, thats all my problem is.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks again. My jeep has an in-line 6 cyl engine w/ slight vibration during idle..I think it's normal for a truck -like type vehicle...but for a luxury performance sedan ??... I mean, I had a '95 Hyundai w/ 4 cyl once but never did I recall any vibrations as worse as this during idle. I spoke to the dealer today and they said they had Audi check it and it has something to do with cleaning out the throttle or some ignition deal. They said they should have fixed today...man, I sure hope so. I'll keep ya'll updated. Thanks for the responses. I'm glad I found this website..