Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 B6 air filter, plugs thus far

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Default A4 B6 air filter, plugs thus far

Greetings from a newb.

This post may be of limited use to those seasoned owners out there but for other newbs, I want to share my experience with my two most recent mods to a stock A4 B6.

I replaced my stock air filter with a drop-in K&N about 3 weeks ago. I didn't exactly notice a difference in performance but I did notice something that's worth mentioning. I have a short commute to work, and in central NJ that means about 15 minutes worth of stop and go traffic. The new K&N air filter wowed me one morning shortly after install when I noticed that, when left in first gear, the car would now continue to move forward with my feet off the pedals. Of course this doesn't work uphill but it's still a welcome plus. With the old stock filter, the car would jerk then stall if I didn't pay close attention to the clutch and gas pedals at crawl speeds. This simple mod has made my morning commute much easier. It's well worth it.

Second, I read through the forums and paid close attention to the posts on spark plugs. I had a couple misfire warnings since I got the car and even had the dealership check it out. They replaced one plug. Of course, the warning light came back. I replaced the NGK PFR6Q Laser Platinum plugs, a different gap on all 4 set at about the .025" range, with the NGK BKR6E v-power copper plugs at a .032" gap. This mod made an immediate difference in performance. Acceleration is much smoother and quicker through the gears. I have to recommend that anyone running stock plugs from the dealership swap them out. You won't be disappointed unless you consider replacing them every 10k-12k miles for $8 annoying. Thanks to all of you posting on this issue out there and to A4Mods.com
http://a4mods.com/index.php?page=web...pperplugs.html

So, where do I go from here? I don't go to the track or race on the road but do have to entertain VIPs from my line of work occasionally so keeping a stock look is important to me. I will be getting a 710n DV in the near future (hopefully not to find out that I already have one). I did see plenty of posts on where it is and how to do it, now I need a friend's driveway and jacks [sm=smiley20.gif]. New tires are en route and I'm thinking after that I want to get a Borla cat back. I know most will say to get it chipped first (stage 1 is as far as I would take it) but I'm wondering about gas mileage. Does it affect it all that much? I get about 24 city/ 28+ highway.

Lastly, I noticed I hit 4k RPMs going 85 in 5th gear. Does that sound right? Thanks all and godspeed!

Old 05-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: A4 B6 air filter, plugs thus far

A chip will normaly help your gas mileage when driven conservatively, but as soon as you get on it, it drops quite a bit... Good move on the plugs... Pretty sure those rpm's are right for a b6 at that speed, its geared that way i think because its a heavy car.