Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 B5 Bose Speaker impedance matching

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 03:15 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 B5 Bose Speaker impedance matching

The Audi Concert Series stereo in my A4 has the worst sounding output I think I've heard from a high-line auto. Probably due to the "Bose" factor. From working in the audio business years ago, I remember that Bose OEM car audio system speakers have variable impedance values....meaning that some OEM systems utilize 1 ohm speakers, and some utilize 8 ohm speakers. Of course, there's everything in between also. On to the question....

Assuming that there have been many of you who have extracted your Bose speakers and replaced them (including all the other audio components in the car), has anyone become aware of the impedance of the factory speakers in the 98 Audi A4 B5 Bose setup?

We used to be able to replace just the speaker "component" of these systems. Although not the optimal arrangement, it is a way to keep the factory OEM head unit and CD changer. Of course, there's always the Bose equalization "crap" to deal with.

I am aware (via Audiworld.com) that there is a way to modify the Bose equalization circuitry with the Symphony series head units. Does anyone know a way to do this with the Concert series Head unit???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:32 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A4 B5 Bose Speaker impedance matching

the factory bose setup is very very weird... the front and rear doors are ran off of amplication from the headunit while the rear deck speakers have their own seperate amps on the rear of the speakers... if you really are looking for good sound quality get a new amp and integrate to the factory head unit, thats what i did

Old 09-01-2006, 09:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A4 B5 Bose Speaker impedance matching

I appreciate your response. Would you happen to have a schematic of this Bose system? Is this something that could be found in the Haynes Manual or in the Audi Technical manual?

I was thinking of getting the "manual" at some point. I just purchased the Car last week. This is my resurgence into the German Car world after owning two pristine / modded VR6 Corrados in the past.

BTW, I do have a 4 ch Precision Power amplifier. How did your setup turn out using the factory head unit?