Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 acceleration hesitates

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Default RE: A4 acceleration hesitates

ORIGINAL: AF_guy_ram

Timing belt could be why, whens it due for change?
what does the timing belt have to do with hesitation under acceleration? I think perhaps you're talking out of your *** a little bit maybe?

Old 03-11-2007, 10:44 PM

is it in the same gear every time it hesitates?
are you 100% sure that it coming for the engine?
are you just feeling the tip hesitating before it kicks down?

Old 03-11-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

I guess I didn't notice if it was in the same gear or not every time. I just noticed it is always around the same speed, Let me explain a little better what it does. It pretty much just stops accelerationg all togethor for a few seconds and the RPM needle stops were it is, Then about 2 seconds later it just continues speeding up and the RPM needle continues to go up like normal. And again it only does this sometimes and only when accelerating at a normal pace. And for the guy who said timing belt, That was just changed about a month ago.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear

I just started having hesitation once i installed my ko4, and now i have some back fire issues that i didnt have before. I think its back pressure but i dunno, that could be your problem, but i doubt it, my hesitation isnt that long.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:01 AM
1st Gear

Well I just went for about an hour long drive around town and couldn't reproduce the problem. Hopefully it's nothing major.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

The sound my car makes is more frequent when it is first turned on, although it has occured when temp guage was in the middle. I took a ride with an audi mechanic for 12 years and he can't aven diagnose the problem. After new spark plugs, oil change, new brakes, tires, rotors and a few other things its still making the sound every so often. Nothing comes up on the vag com either. Also in tip mode it has never happened. Only happens under load. If anyone can even suggest another possible solution please do.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

This ones for Belligerenceā„¢ whos says:
"what does the timing belt have to do with hesitation under acceleration? I think perhaps you're talking out of your *** a little bit maybe? "

I guess your name speaks for itself. Do your homework before you bash! A slight hesitation in accelerationaround 50mphcould bea loose or worn timing belt. I hope you know that a mechanic should investigate "all" posibilities of a cause to a problem.
Thanks

Old 12-06-2007, 09:41 PM

I know this thread was from last March, but I'm hoping someone may have other suggestions or answers to generik777's problem. I am having the same issue, only it's a 2007 A4 2.0T Quattro, 6 speed manual transmission. It started in 4th gear at first - I'd have my foot steady on the gas, and then try to give it a little more gas and the gas would cut out for a couple seconds, giving the car a little jerk and then it would pick up again. Then it started happening in other gears, from 3rd to 6th gear. The problem is really intermittent though. It could happen 3 times in a week, and then not happen again for another 3 weeks. I've been back to the dealer 3 times. They were able to recreate the issue once when their tech brought it out for a drive. They replaced a cracked oil cap. That didn't do anything. Next time they still noticed a little oil and looked further down and ended up replacing a crank vent valve. We thought the problem would be taken care of after that, but it happened again. I just brought it to them again this week, still not finding anything- they just keep saying that they can't pull any codes. So they are now contacting an Audi rep to see how to proceed with the situation. Anyone out there having a similar issue or have any further suggestions? Thanks!!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:37 PM

My 2007 A4 avant (6 speed manual) is having the same problem. Comes and goes. driving very consistent and the lack of power just shows up. 1st, 2nd or 3rd. usually around 2500 RPM. It is like the coils are cut out.

I usually push in clutch and release... problem gone. It never stays.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

Mine hesitates when accelerating from a stop. The rpm's don't fluctuate or move abnormally but the engine hesitates. Usually goes away when I get to about 5 mph. I also just bought mine and I have a slight vibration at stand still. Don't know if it's normal.

Quick Reply: A4 acceleration hesitates