Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 AEB 54k miles Timing belt tensioner failed HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:07 PM
1st Gear
Default 99 AEB 54k miles Timing belt tensioner failed HELP

hi,
I am a regular reader of AUDI FORUMSand the dreaded day came true.... today, while going to the University (I am a Ph.D Student) which is less than a mile from my apartment some odd noise came form the engine bay.

As I was in a hurry to reach my lab didn't care but in the evening I remembered the issue and came back and pinpointed as coming from TB area and unscrewed the covers and to my horror the timing belt tensioner broke which is an old style one.

NO CEL, car Timing belt is in place but littleloose as I can see (I know the car will start and run but dont wanna scr*w it more so, didnt even try)

when the sound was coming also the car ran fine which was like 30-40 mph drive from apartment to univ <1 mile.

My question is

whats the possibility of the valves bending and other nasty scenario?

should I go ahead and buy the TBkit.... or test the engine before I put any more money on this?

Any Audi Mechanic suggestions around Greensboro?

Thankyou
Satish

Old 06-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: 99 AEB 54k miles Timing belt tensioner failed HELP

Dont drive it, get the TB kit w/ new tensionerand see what happens. Sounds like you MIGHT have gotten lucky. Repeat: DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT drive/start the engine anymore. Get it on a flat bed to your house or wherever the maint. is going to be done.

Actually, Audi might cover the costs due to your low mileage... Check with them first.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

Thankyou onepoint8tee for your quick reply.
How can I contact Audi?..... the local dealer flatly denied any help asthe car is OUT of warranty..
which websites do you suggest for the TB kit?

Thank you

Old 06-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Site Moderator

Look up the number for AOA (audi of america) and explain to them that your engine has a defective old style TBtensioner. Argue that the scheduled time for TB replacement/inspection was no where near when this happend. They should be glad you arent going to them asking for an engine replacement. If they give you a hard time about it, just order the kit and DIY because I know how PHD students need reliable transportation. Besides, your future 6 digit income will recover the costs easily.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

I called AoA andthey said will take care of it... I asked local audi dealer to tow the car(he called AoA and confirmed that case has been filled with AoA customer CARE advocate)...later said we have to research little more on the car and said my car was inspected in JK CAMPAIGN which is this timing belt inspection time and found to be good working order.... I agreed with him telling that if it breaks it should be covered...the rep called me couple of times once to get the vin and then to say they CANT do it as area warranty manager or someone didnt agree.. then I saidI will report this to the attorney general of NC... they backed down and said he will call back.... now they are telling we sent the request to AoA for approval now its upto AoA

when AoA has agreed we will take care of it, if its tensioner caused failure...tow it to the nearest dealer how another approval??????????

How can they send the request with out even seeing the car.. ARE THEY USING STALLING TACTICS????????

Please advice
An article on this problem on boston globe or google 'audi class action'
http://www.boston.com/business/artic...ine_of_change/

Old 07-02-2007, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like stalling tactics to me. Seems they're really trying to find some fault in your driving.D:

Just use the atterney word some more times if they call you back saying they can't do it.xD

Old 07-02-2007, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

I will give them time until tommorrow 10 AM to respond . then my course of action is

1. Call AoA again and ask the status :---- most probably they will say where is the car... the dealership didnt send any quote of damage??
2. Then i am gonna call the local audi once more to tow the car... the if they dont i will tow it to them by own expense and the ask them to diagnose the problem and give the quote.... remarking the customer asked to be considered under extended warranty given after the class action lawsuit..
3. if still the local guyhas problem.... wil ask him to give a letter denying the service ...
4. if they give that, drive to Attorney general office with all the articles and forums print outs, a video of the damage (I thinkI shoudl be **** with these guys) and ask them to do some justice...
5. If nothing works out , do the jobat another mechanicand sendall paper workto the attorney in philadelphia who handled the class action as in some other forum they got their checks....I saved a page with all the details of the attorney to get the reimbersment..

Lets see what happens...

please suggest modifications/opinion to the approach guys

Old 07-02-2007, 08:58 PM
3rd Gear

sounds like a lot of time to waste - you could just order a $250 kit and do it yourself and be done with it. My guess is they won't cover it, just like they don't cover anyone elses that breaks. just be thankful you didn't break anything and take it to a local euro mechanic $6-700 job.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Solved : AUDI COVERED IT :99 AEB 54k miles Timing belt tensioner failed HELP

Audi is fixing it... local stealership gave me some trouble and asked me 4 hours of labor above what audi is covering for the waterpump and thermostat replacement. quoted $640+ I said thanks and asked them to do 'only' what audi has already covered.

If anyguys are in same situation I will keep the documentation for some time you can contact me to get the copies. But no need as audi corporate is covering this issue well.. only problem is with the local audi dealer.

Thankyou guys for all your help. This Forum / My belief of 'information is power' saved me like $1000+ around. We can close this thread as the issue is solved.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Solved : AUDI COVERED IT :99 AEB 54k miles Timing belt tensioner failed HELP

sweet - glad to hear it , damn dealer, they should have just charged you parts to do the pump