Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 A4 Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:51 PM
1st Gear
Default 96 A4 Stereo System

Hi everyone, I'm stoked beyond all belief to finally have my rock a$$ audi. With that said, I want to do some modifications already. So this is the story, I have the happy head unit with it's weenie tape deck. I have 2 amps, 2 subs, 2 back deck speakers and 2 5 & 1/4's for the door. I've decided that if I can use the stock head, I'll have to bite the techno bullet and go with it. I am an Electrical Engineer and I have a lot of questions. One, I need to find the amp for the car? I have zero idea what system is in the car other than the delta head. I read in another post it might be attached to the bottom of the drivers side back deck speaker, and there is a little steel box, but it's tiny and when disconnected only disconnects the back two speakers. The numbers on it are 8d5 035 401 made by nokia. Secondly, in this year car what should I expect for the amp wiring layout... in other words will each be amped individually or through one central amp located somewhere near the trunk. 3rdly, if it's located somewhere in the trunk under the driver's side lining, besides yanking hard, how do I get to it? I want to not destroy that lining or unseal anything that is "attached" in there. I have lots more questions, but will leave that up to a later post.... thanks all, GO AUDI! PFire

Old 11-01-2005, 01:32 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: 96 A4 Stereo System

if you have the standard stereo you'll have an amp connected to the driver side speaker in the rear deck...if you have bose (when you turn the car on "BOSE" will appear in the stereo display for a couple seconds), then your amp is in the trunk on the driver side, bolted up to the bottom of the rear deck. if you have the bose amp your harness will be this one...

the speakers are all powered by the single amp. if you have bose, you can tap into the line level wires at the amp. that's what i'm doing in my 96.

your 5 1/4s won't fit in the front doors, you have 4" speakers up there. the stock system sounds pretty awesome with a little extra amplification and a sub.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:26 AM
1st Gear

That's great, I appreciate the help, but my pin config into the little silver box under the driver side trunk speaker is way different. It's like 16 pins stacked in 3's or 4 above and below each other. Also, if it was the whole system amp, when I disconnected it, wouldn't the whole system have gone dead? And If I'm getting this right, If I just increase the line levels, I am still effectively using the stock amp, just increasing the line levels. I want to essentially bypass it entirely for favor of a 4 channel amp and a mono block. Does that sound about right? Thanks for all the help everyone, and on the naming thread! PF

Old 11-01-2005, 06:24 AM
5th Gear

apparently you have the non-bose stereo. i don't know a whole lot about that setup, sorry. i'm pretty sure only your rear deck speakers are amplified, and the amp for them is pretty much worthless. you're probably going to have to run new wires if you want to amplify the door speakers.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

Hey, so two wrinkles... my deck says nothing, but the back pin config looks a lot like this

Cable Link

I am super confused on what's going on... I appreciate the help people have given... if you have any ideas, let me know! Besides a dealer, anyone have any good ideas on how to track down what's in this car? Thanks, PF

Old 11-01-2005, 01:23 PM

The head unit will only power your front two speakers.
The rear speakers are powered by a small amplifier on the drivers side rear speaker. Hence why only the back to speakers stop working.

If you disconnect the amp/get new speakers you will either need a new head unit, an amp, or run wires directly back from the head unit. I think there is line out.

Anway... I just got a new headunit and rear speakers... used the same wires just spliced in. Soon i will get fronts and a 2 channel amp. Run the shelfs off the head unit and the fronts off the amp (people say..i find this to be mildly true, that your rear speakers are the least important in your car). Then a sub and amp.. and then your golden.

You can get good sound outta the stockies.. i just prefer after market

Old 11-01-2005, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

MadHatter, How did you know what wires to splice for what speakers... I have the whole diagram listed above, is that the right color coding? Thanks, PF