Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 5speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Default RE: 96 5speed?

Those 7 spoke wheels mean that it has the sport package. The 5 spoke wheels were mostly for the 2.8 except in 97 when the 1.8T sport had 5 spoke as well (thats what I have). http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/a4/diff/

Old 06-18-2007, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

my 97 has 7 spoke. its also the sport package. I <3 boost

Old 06-18-2007, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the website!!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: koenigar17

my 97 has 7 spoke. its also the sport package. I <3 boost
really? thats strange, mines a late 97. Maybe they just switched it up a little. Or it could've been an option.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:37 AM

dude they are every where in NY, hit up yonkers and brooklyn its full of them....and deff go low milage and 1.8t if you'll be goin 700-1000 miles a week and go rob a bank for gas money....

Old 06-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Site Moderator

A chipped 1.8t is great on gas on the highway. Im used to getting 30-33 mpg on long trips.A chip will actually improve your mpg when driving conservatively, and of course the exact opposite when not. Youll probably find a stock 1.8t's performance unacceptable, but a $500 chip changes everything. A chip wouldnt be considered a "wild" mod as you put it either... Just makes it how it should be from the factory, nothing too crazy. Some people will say the 1.8t is unreliable compared to a 2.8, but thats BS unless you start doing major mods.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:59 AM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: 100mhz

so im looking into buying a new car..not sure what i want but im considering an audi a4. i just looked at and drove a 96 2.8 quattro 5 speed. Nice car, has about 140k on it. A few conscorns. What does the clutch normally feel like on these cars? It seemed to have a long throw before anythign happened. Example...if the total play in clutch from floor to being up all the way is 10 inches, it seemed nothing happened untill about the last 2-3 inches...is that normal? seemed to grip fine and disengage fine, just felt wierd...Also audio...has the original radio, said bose when i turned it on, but it didnt have a cd changer...are the cars pre wired? could i just go to the dealer buy an audi cd changer and plug it in? What abrout keyless entry? was it available in 96? is it a plug in item as well? car has the key only..lastly..oil leaks. are they common on these cars? i saw and smelled what seemed to be an oil leak. oil (presumably) was leaking onto the maniforld and burning off...on the driver side it was abot 1and a half inches wide and right in line with the motor mount...similar on passenger side..any thoughts? any problem areas on these cars? i also noticed the dash around the passenger airbag was peeling away a little...cosmetic id assume? carfax is clean with the current owner being the second with prety good records of service

thanks
keyless entry on a 96? Yes it was a factory option
CD changer? I have no idea, I know I have an aftermarket one but I do not know if it's plug and play
Oil Leak? Um I'm not sure it could be the valve cover gasket.
dash? it's an 11 year old car so some signs of age will be there (mine has the same problem)

reliability? She hasn't done me wrong yet, just make sure if you get a 2.8 or a 1.8t that all work was done on it and that the oil was changed regularly.

hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

Any car will be somewhat "unreliable" when modded, you are making the car do something it was not meant to do. Boosted FTMFW!
ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

A chipped 1.8t is great on gas on the highway. Im used to getting 30-33 mpg on long trips.A chip will actually improve your mpg when driving conservatively, and of course the exact opposite when not. Youll probably find a stock 1.8t's performance unacceptable, but a $500 chip changes everything. A chip wouldnt be considered a "wild" mod as you put it either... Just makes it how it should be from the factory, nothing too crazy. Some people will say the 1.8t is unreliable compared to a 2.8, but thats BS unless you start doing major mods.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

im goign to try to look at a 1.8t locally and compare it...

Old 06-19-2007, 09:00 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: 100mhz

so im looking into buying a new car..not sure what i want but im considering an audi a4. i just looked at and drove a 96 2.8 quattro 5 speed. Nice car, has about 140k on it. A few conscorns. What does the clutch normally feel like on these cars? It seemed to have a long throw before anythign happened. Example...if the total play in clutch from floor to being up all the way is 10 inches, it seemed nothing happened untill about the last 2-3 inches...is that normal? seemed to grip fine and disengage fine, just felt wierd...Also audio...has the original radio, said bose when i turned it on, but it didnt have a cd changer...are the cars pre wired? could i just go to the dealer buy an audi cd changer and plug it in? What abrout keyless entry? was it available in 96? is it a plug in item as well? car has the key only..lastly..oil leaks. are they common on these cars? i saw and smelled what seemed to be an oil leak. oil (presumably) was leaking onto the maniforld and burning off...on the driver side it was abot 1and a half inches wide and right in line with the motor mount...similar on passenger side..any thoughts? any problem areas on these cars? i also noticed the dash around the passenger airbag was peeling away a little...cosmetic id assume? carfax is clean with the current owner being the second with prety good records of service

thanks
Depends what they want for it. With 140k, Id sayfor around4000 it should be worth it. Good records are always a big plus.
You will inevitably have to fix something, unless the records show all the major components already replaced at some point.
What are they asking for it?
It is quattro/manual, so its fun, even though its the 12 valve.

Quick Reply: 96 5speed?