Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.0 vs. 1.8 T

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 01:35 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 3.0 vs. 1.8 T

haha nice! you sure got a lot of black smoke comin outta that exhaust!

APR stage 1+ gets you to 235 hp and 275 ft/lbs of torque. Stage 1+ just adds larger fuel injecters along with the chip. Total cost for that is $999, so along with a good exhaust system, you will be at around 245-250 hp and 280-285 ft./lbs of torque atleast. all of that for around $2000. I'd say that as being "lightly modded". That would spank a 3.0 no doubt!

Old 05-27-2005, 01:58 AM
1st Gear

No one can say that one site is more accurate than another really unless there is a huge, say a one second discrepancy. There are many variables that effect acceleration like ambient temp., altitude, windage, driver, turbo mods with respect to spooling and curve changes. that's just to name a few. Usually a driver alone can alter the times by 2/10 or so. And if he is heavy or light is another thing. How much gas is in the car can also be a determinant. So nothing is Gospel.

It is however more important to be mindful of weight and traction. What the GTI gains in weight the Quattro makes up for in traction.

Second: Volkswagon does not own Audi. The corporation name is The Volkswagon Audi Group, and 80 % of the car is built in different factories. Ref. post on differences between the Jetta and A4. Audi, or more apropriately the Auto workers Union has been building most incredible cars in Germany since 1909 and at the same time that Volkswagon was developing air cooled horizontally opposed engines (boxter). Audi dominated many racing circuits and seat many world speed records. VAG brands include Audi, Volkswagen, Seat and Skoda, as well as Bentley, Bugatti and Lamborghini. The Bentley purchase was really fascinating but I will spare you the details. It encludes bidding and legal battle with bitter (not please auf Deutsche) rival BMW.

http://www.germancarfans.com/classic...01/audi/1.html
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Audi

Old 05-27-2005, 02:57 AM
3rd Gear

A4fanatic
What Mods have you done to your car?

Old 05-27-2005, 04:17 AM
5th Gear

Quote: Ref. post on differences between the Jetta and A4

I think the B5 Passat is a more suitable comparison, to the B5 a4... seeing as how they are on the same frame and whatnot.

Old 05-27-2005, 04:37 AM
3rd Gear

Dont the A6 and passat share the same frame ?

Old 05-27-2005, 09:28 AM
3rd Gear

the a4 and passat do, the b5 chassis

Old 05-27-2005, 10:08 AM

you can make a reliable 315 horse 1.8T
LOL, dude where in the world has there ever been a reliable 4 banger with boost.

And the 1.8t is a engine that volkwagen completely designed and now scrapped because of stock reliability issues.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:15 AM

3.0 are slow, if your local I'll prove it to you
anytime but you come to baltimore i dont like country places, too many cowboy cops

Old 05-27-2005, 11:48 AM
5th Gear

rayveedub, did you just accept ritts proposal? hahaha, I guess it has no merit, seeing as how you'll make sure it never happens... good god, there isnt a 3.0 that could handle ritts machine. Supercharging would still come up short!

And where'd you hear that the reason for scrapping the 1.8T was for reliability issues? I'm sure FSi's capabilities had nothing to do with being able to increase displacement with no economical downside... Hmm.

The only real issue with 1.8T "reliability" was that they needed regular maintenance... or they'd sludge up. This is for the people who neglected to change their oil every 5K -- they had it coming if you ask me. I change my synthetic every 5K KM... so every 3500 miles or so -- and most people on this forum do as well.

And yes, you can make a 315hp (crank hp -- about 240 at the wheels) 1.8T with little reliability issues... the 99.5 had forged internals or something, didnt it? Tom will have over 400 crank hp... and he cautions about the reliability of his car... but i'm sure the smaller of the k04 eliminators will be reliable, and make 240 whp.

Old 05-27-2005, 02:53 PM

heard of the scrapping of the 1.8t from the dealership, although that doesent mean its true but i guess it is speculation, but from personal experience i know 1.8t's have problems. ive worked for 2 very prestigous shops(eip tuning and eastside) and seen them come and go and come back for something else. before you go ranting about ritts machine maybe you should know what i have and could do in a drop of a hat. the pes charger is very cool but i am not sure that would be my mod of choice.
look i dont want to start any battles just make some friends, but i think it funny how everyone is like get a 1.8t like me and do all the same mods i do and then that the way you can have a cool car. i read about ritts car and i think it is is nice, i even voted for it in the ride of the month, but he challenged, friendly im sure, and its never been in my nature to back down. and i think it would be fun although i hate drag racing. but im not driving there since i am not the challenger. i got a few cars that i like for different reasons like most of you im sure my a4 was bought originally as a daily driver. oh and no vw engine has forged rods or pistons only cranks, and that was on the g60 which is probably the same on the 1.8t.

bottom line its a preference issue, obviously i could have gotten a 1.8t audi but 4 bangers havent really been my thing in years. i would love to see a 3.2 liter vr6 in a audi but until then all i can get is the v6 or v8(out of my price range right now).