Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Audi- grinding noise in detail

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Default 2003 Audi- grinding noise in detail

Hey guys,

So ive got a grinding noise comming from my 2003 A4 1.8t quattro (manual). Its really only audible from the inside and a vibration can be felt through the pedals steering column and shifter. It initially started 2 months ago while driving about 50 on a straight country road but was more pronounced in a right turn. The problem went away at random times. After the initial time I could reproduce the problem reliably in 5th gear on the interstate but with lighter sound/vibration. After exiting, stopping, and starting again in 1st gear the sound/vibration would be very pronounced and steady through all the gears. I found that in neutral the problem could not be reproduced either moving or not and the sound/vibration increases with throttle. To test in neutral I drove it in 5th on the interstate and put it in neutral while going 70. The problem immediately goes away with the clutch depressed. I took it to Audi and had a tech drive the car and he said it was a loose heat shield. I explained it couldnt be just that. I checked it, it was not. It stopped for a few weeks but recently I had this come up again but with the worst sound yet. It started on the interstate. While at the exit ramp I put it in neutral and it still made the sound. This is the first time it has done that. While driving the sound increased in right turns and ceased in left turns.

Just wanted to see what you thought before I had to go deal with my local Audi folk again. Its alway a hastle.

Brad

Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Default RE: 2003 Audi- grinding noise in detail

I also have a problem now starting the car. It will turn over and start but immediately stall. it takes about 4 attempts to get a successful start. Im thinking its probably the ECT sensor going out but im not getting any kinda of warning lights so im not sure.. Anyone?