Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 V6 30V Quattro - things to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 AM
1st Gear
Default 2.8 V6 30V Quattro - things to look out for?

Hello from London

Wondered if you guys could help out.

I am looking to get an Audi A4 (1997) 2.8 V6 Quattro 160k on the clock for a good price

I just wanted to know what to look out for

been modifying various Seats and VW's for the last 10 years so I know a bit, but wondered if there is anythign specific to look out for regarding these engines

Thanks

Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

Let's see:

-Find out when the timing belt/water pump/thermostat was last done
-Check front control arms for play (non replaceable ball joints, you have to replace all 8 arms.)
-Check valve cover gaskets for leaks; they leak, leaks into spark plug hole, fouls plugs, needs platinum or iridum... money, money
-Check PCV system, prone to clogs, PCV tubes are cheap plastic in turn brittle and last only a few years. PCV clogs, blows out valve cover gaskets... etc.
-Check for leaking cam chain tensioner seals. Cam chain tensioners are minumum 350 for one on the 2.8. Listen for loud clicking, if present one or more could be toast.

-of course there's the basics like brakes, battery, struts, exhaust etc for any car so I won't cover that.

-try the sunroof, the switch is unreliable and the rails are plastic, and are prone to jaming/breaking
-see if they've replaced the ignition switch. There was a recall out for it, but you never know. Basically, it'll start running the starter when you engage the clutch. Not awesome.
-Look under the car near the front driver-side. There's an oil cooler where the oil filter is attached... this is prone to leaking. Coolant and oil mixing- not awesome.