Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 turbo, it can be done...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: 2.8 turbo, it can be done...

Not worth it, shoulda got a 1.8t man.

ORIGINAL: klum00

The turbo and manifold are not the issue for this project. Its the timing/ecu. The 2.8s come with a hitachi ECU which cannot be upgraded, EVER. The only way to make this work (correctly) is with stand alone engine management i.e. megasquirt. You will need to spend countless hours figuring out the correct timing and could risk serious damage to your car while doing so. If this is your DD and you cant afford to get a new car if something happens, I would highly recommend against trying.

Research this topic more thoroughly on the 12v section of AudiWorld, Audizine, here and Fourtitude.com
^Thats the smartest thing Ive ever seen a 2.8 member post for real.

Remote mount turbos [sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 08-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

Get a stock 2.7t one, & put it on.

If you want to do it cheap, get an adjustable FPR & a wideband. Between that & Lemi you should be able to tune it around 75%.
Lemi+Hitachi ECU= I dont think so?

Old 08-16-2007, 03:24 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee
Hitachi ECU in a 2.8? I didn't know that, I haven't Lemied any 2.8, but have messed with one using Vag-com, it didn't seam any different?

Old 08-16-2007, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

The turbo and manifold are not the issue for this project. Its the timing/ecu. The 2.8s come with a hitachi ECU which cannot be upgraded, EVER. The only way to make this work (correctly) is with stand alone engine management i.e. megasquirt. You will need to spend countless hours figuring out the correct timing and could risk serious damage to your car while doing so. If this is your DD and you cant afford to get a new car if something happens, I would highly recommend against trying.

Research this topic more thoroughly on the 12v section of AudiWorld, Audizine, here and Fourtitude.com
it isnt my daily driver, hence being able to spend the time incapacitated in the garage. i acutaly have two 2.8's one i picked up for 400$ and got the trany rebuilt for 500$, this is the one im planning on turboing, so its not much of a loss. but thanks for sharing that, ill look into it.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee
Hitachi ECU in a 2.8? I didn't know that, I haven't Lemied any 2.8, but have messed with one using Vag-com, it didn't seam any different?
For the 12v, the 30v has a different ECU thats why they actually make chips for it. The euro spec 12v did however come with a Bosch (i believe) ECU which can be tuned, from what I have read. Don't think it's as simple as a direct swap though. If my car wasnt a DD i would be tempted to check out the megasquirt. Not really because it would give me godlike power, but just to learn more about tuning and all that stuff. Good luck if you can do it, but it's just a HUGE task for us 12vers.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:23 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

One of the guys that runs with Cumberland Motor Club turbo'd his VR6. It's not impossible to turbocharge an engine that was never made for it, but it's far from simple...

Old 08-16-2007, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear

**** onepointeighttee...anythings possible BRO, all u need is time, and alot of money.

heh, i love your posts.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: cyberlogicx

One of the guys that runs with Cumberland Motor Club turbo'd his VR6. It's not impossible to turbocharge an engine that was never made for it, but it's far from simple...
A vr6 is not hard. You have all 6 intake ports on one side and all 6 exhaust ports on the other. Its "almost" like an inline 6 except they arent next to each other. Thats why they call the 8 cyl version a W8, still a vr engine.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:08 PM
3rd Gear

For the 12v, the 30v has a different ECU thats why they actually make chips for it. The euro spec 12v did however come with a Bosch (i believe) ECU which can be tuned, from what I have read. Don't think it's as simple as a direct swap though. If my car wasnt a DD i would be tempted to check out the megasquirt. Not really because it would give me godlike power, but just to learn more about tuning and all that stuff. Good luck if you can do it, but it's just a HUGE task for us 12vers.
Ya, learn something new every day. Looks like I'll stay away from every 12v. I don't think that I'v ever even played with a 12v only the 30v.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

ORIGINAL: cyberlogicx

A vr6 is not hard. You have all 6 intake ports on one side and all 6 exhaust ports on the other. Its "almost" like an inline 6 except they arent next to each other. Thats why they call the 8 cyl version a W8, still a vr engine.
Umm, yeah. I know that. The point is, that was never a turbo-ready engine. If you have the funds, you can do anything.

Quick Reply: 2.8 turbo, it can be done...