Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 crew : milage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:57 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 2.8 crew : milage?

I don't suppose you could shed some light onto where the ABS sensor is in retrospect to the braking system, I hope mine are not burned out being the car has 106k on it (just got it) and the previous owners did take care of it, but they were old people and did not do the extra stuff like this. Also how do you go about cleaning it? Disassmble in a way and scrub with simple green? or just high power air and leave it intact?

This is amazingly my first car with ABS (i am so le`pour) and it is a totally new thing for me, I come from the school of thought Big brakes, Smart Foot.... not computer controlled brakes.

I am praying it is not that dreaded ABS controller.

Sorry i am really too tired to figure out the quote thing...

I know on the 98 A6 they changed this, so don't follow my advice word for word but same general principle and I think the 98 A4 has the same set up.

#1 the ABS and Brake Light on means that it shut off the ABS not such a bad thing. THere is still brakes, but it is easy to lock them up in the rain.

#2 The sensors thing... Start at your ABS sensor. There are 6 hard tubes coming too it, those are brake lines. There are also 4 wires going to it in a bundle those are the sensor wires. Remember what the wires look like. Take off the wheel of where ever you are starting (I don't know if you can do it with the wheels on.) On the rear brake/ rotor assembly, in the front of it (towards the engine) you should see the same type of wire trailing along the bottom of the car and to a cap that is on the rotor about 1/2" diameter, kind of a raised center rounded (like a miniature gas cap). That is the sensor.

The sensor is that cap with a 1" long cylindrical magnet attached to it (the magnet is slid inside of the assembly). My car the magnet is a tight fit and friction holds it in. The 98 A6 went to a twist and lock cap (like a pill bottle). Either way find a technique for gently grabbing the cap and twisting and pulling. (I cannot say how because if you break it that is so not my fault) (But I used Vice Grips). The tube out, you will understand what I mean by clean it. The manual suggests a terry cloth with a light oil but not too much or youll be doing this again (the oil so that next time it will slide out) no disassembly required definitely no simple green. Usually Audi will only pull these when redoing your rotors, so if your car is well maintained, it has never been pulled and it might take some work. Oh and on the front Rotor, the sensor is at the back of the rotor (towards the trunk). While you are in that vicinity, check your CV boots, rubber spiralled around your axle. There are 4 on the front and 4 on the rear. No grease oil etc, should be clean. No cracking either.

If the light continues you may need the computer scan, it will tell you what is wrong and probably it will say that one of the four sensors is misreading (and since you cleaned them you can bet your boots you cooked one... but don't worry I bought my car with 2 cooked kiss 320 + labor bye bye)

Old 08-30-2005, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear

I like the 2.8, if anything I wish I would have gotten a 30V.

But the 12V just keeps on going. It's not too bad in performance, I've defenitly had worse.

When I trade this in, it'll probably be for a 1.8t. Turbo cars are always fun, I'm starting to miss my old ones.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:28 PM
4th Gear

ive got the 12v with 121,000 still running strong.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:16 PM

Colud anyone please tel me what the following means on a audi a4 '95 2.8 : below the milage on the tip indicater it flashed 1n 1 now it flashes 1n2 ?

Old 08-30-2005, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear

It says in your manual... but in case you don't have a manual, the codes below the odometer is to remind you of you service needed... oil chages and 7500 mile and all that crap. So what ever big mile stone you just passed it is reminding you that it is time to pay the dealer millions of dollars. *sarcasm*

Old 09-02-2005, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear

2001 with 35k miles....damn, I might be in the running for "lowest milage 2001"...so yeah, I'll be driving this thing until the end of time.

Probably getting 22-23 mpg.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:42 AM
4th Gear

I'm just about nailing the audi 20 city/30 hw for my car. kinda sucks. I'm thinking bout geting one of the diesal jetta's or something. I want the diesal cus you can run them on stait used cooking oil. Tire Fryer for me.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:58 AM
1st Gear

2001 with 76k. Glad to know from the others on here the 2.8 is tried and true. Next in natural progression will be a turbo - but not for a looooong time.