Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 crew : milage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 05:22 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: 2.8 crew : milage?

i knew what i was getting into before i bought my car...i wanted the most reliability i could get, which is why i went with the 12V...i really wanted to get a 99.5 30V, but they were way out of my budget...i still plan on getting one though and supercharging it, but that won't be for a couple years.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:05 PM
2nd Gear

'01 with 69.6k its still just a youngin compared to what you guys have

Old 08-27-2005, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear

i have a 96 a6q wag w 88k, yes it is not so peppy but i will get MANY miles
in style & comfort

Old 08-28-2005, 05:49 AM
4th Gear

def love my 2.8, but i wish they had as many mods for us, as they do the 1.8T

Old 08-28-2005, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

my car overall I am really happy with, minus the squeeking tirod end I need to have serviced, the fact my duplicate key is gonna cost me $170, and the occasional brake/abs warning lights coming on, it is a good car.

Last night I had two passengers in the car and I was up in NYC, coming from Brooklyn to the city, and a newer 1.8t passed us, got pissed with traffic and floord it and eventually went screaming past him, I guess he didnt like it to much as he decided to follow me on our 100mph weave thru traffic, he couldnt pass me, but I really couldn't pull away on him either.

basically Wagon w/3 = fat asses in it + full tank of gas automatic = 2001ish 1.8t with one passenger sedan. in performance at least.

Do you guys run premium (like the book says) in your 2.8ts? or regular?

I typically (minus last night) baby my cars, so I have been doing regular and seeing now average driving conditions back roads and little highway hops like 24.8mpg... so eh.

How about you guys?

Old 08-28-2005, 10:30 PM

ONLY use premium fuel. Otherwise your car will not perform as well and it is not good for the engine.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:12 AM
2nd Gear

The antilock brake light is probably because you have a sensor that is dirty (magnet near brakes). That is the usual cause. Pull them, clean them, put them back, save 160 bucks each if you catch it early otherwise they burn up. Usually happens at about 120K if they were never cleaned ever ever ever that you burn one up and learn a valuable lesson.

I run my 97 A6 wagon on 87 or 89 octane. THis week is my first tank of 91 and it is just because I wanted to see what diff... not noticable.

I like the newer 2.8s cause they got some good pick up. I whooped the heck out of a camaro with about the same loading and I would bet the camaro was 1000 lbs less. Oh and he was trying.

I agree with MikeD on the premium fuel a little, don't go so low that it knocks. 85 and sometimes 87 will get mine knocking. In Cali though, I can run 87 no problem. I think it is the ethanol mix in.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:56 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dan908

The antilock brake light is probably because you have a sensor that is dirty (magnet near brakes). That is the usual cause. Pull them, clean them, put them back, save 160 bucks each if you catch it early otherwise they burn up. Usually happens at about 120K if they were never cleaned ever ever ever that you burn one up and learn a valuable lesson.

I run my 97 A6 wagon on 87 or 89 octane. THis week is my first tank of 91 and it is just because I wanted to see what diff... not noticable.

I like the newer 2.8s cause they got some good pick up. I whooped the heck out of a camaro with about the same loading and I would bet the camaro was 1000 lbs less. Oh and he was trying.

I agree with MikeD on the premium fuel a little, don't go so low that it knocks. 85 and sometimes 87 will get mine knocking. In Cali though, I can run 87 no problem. I think it is the ethanol mix in.

Well I know the fuels of my area pretty well, being my other car runs with a massive amount of extra sensors, and very touchy with fuels.

Typically I find the shell stations and the synocos in my area are the best bet, but the gas from Sheets and Sams club (bought from a Arazona based oil company, support the US (if it is not, dont get it) makes good all around grades.
The lowest I have in my area is 87, the highest is 112 (only at one station that sells race gas).

Recently I found Synoco is doing pretty crappy ever since that one refinery went up, apparently the other refinery it comes from is not doing so good as per refining or they are adding something to it to help balance out supply and demand... in the winter in my area they put the ethonal blend in, and it goes thru my cars like *snap* that... no milage at all in my DSMs, dunno about this car.

Is there any cheap data loggers for Audis to check for knock? I know for DSMs we have the PalmOS based logging program, that requires a old $35 palm pilot, a 15 dollar cable and some free software and we can moniter knock, rpm ratio to knock, tbpostion and a few other useful things like O2 voltage and such... any such thing exsist for our cars? If not anyone interested in indevering with me to make a tuning program for our cars/and helping me fabricate the cables?

I don't suppose you could shed some light onto where the ABS sensor is in retrospect to the braking system, I hope mine are not burned out being the car has 106k on it (just got it) and the previous owners did take care of it, but they were old people and did not do the extra stuff like this. Also how do you go about cleaning it? Disassmble in a way and scrub with simple green? or just high power air and leave it intact?

This is amazingly my first car with ABS (i am so le`pour) and it is a totally new thing for me, I come from the school of thought Big brakes, Smart Foot.... not computer controlled brakes.

I am praying it is not that dreaded ABS controller.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:03 AM

i just hit 82,00 and yes i wish i bought a 1.8T cause i need more power. Im also really in love iwth modding.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

I've got a 99 A4 2.8 with 82...83...84K on it. I love driving this car. Never driven the 1.8T, so I can't tell you which I'd prefer, but this one is doing just fine. For me, the critical performance indicator isn't 0-60, it's 65-90. When you are in traffic, and need to hit an opening, this car has everything you need. (and getting 24.5 MPG at the same time)

Dave

Quick Reply: 2.8 crew : milage?