Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 A-4 keyless entry fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Default 1996 A-4 keyless entry fix

Hi all....I recenlty purchased a 1996 a-4 for my daughter and I would like to know if anyone has experience with installing an aftermarket remote starter/keyless entry system in the 1996 a-4. I bought the car used, 80k miles and the keyless FOB's do not work. I replaced the batteries, that did not work, then I attempted to reset them according to the owners manual and that too did not either. I found an article on another site about installing an after market keyless entry (recommended DEI's valet 710T) however I was considering purchasing a "all-in-one" remote starter as well. I am looking for suggestions or preferrable someone with experience doing this? The car also has a few other problems which I am not certain if they are all realted.

1. climate control display flickers and often does not display at all.
2. Horn does not work
3. Moon roof has opened on its own a few times, but that went away
4. Volume on radio increases without touching the controls

Great running car otherwise...just need to fix a few of the "quirks" and preferrable with the least expense.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1996 A-4 keyless entry fix

i'd stay away from anything aftermarket dealing aroud igniton components,such as remote starting.problems start happening when they start tapping into wires.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:48 PM

After some discussion with a mechanic who works on Audi's occasionally he also said the same thing, avoid aftermarket products on the Audi. I may be forced to have this inspected by a dealer. I read several posts which said "refer to the owners manual" about restting the FOB, however my owner manual only indicates to take it to a certified Audi repair facility.

thanks for the reply.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:30 AM
2nd Gear

sunroof

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec.html

key fob

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc.html

if that doesnt work buy a new one and use that procedure, heres a good site

https://www.thepartsyouneed.com/cate...g?categoryId=4

and if you really want to you can get a switchblade key, they program but that involves more work like ordering blank blade, punching out old blade, puting in new blade, getting it cut...

Old 02-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Try and just fix or replace the factory keyless entry, in 96 they worked off a vacuum pump (That is why they are so slow) so it might be harder to wire.. not sure on that though..

as far as the Radio do you have "GALA" and does the volume increase while your driving?

Old 02-15-2006, 01:59 AM
1st Gear

If the horn doesn't work then the air bag may have been deployed?

Old 02-15-2006, 02:04 AM
Administrator

you would know if the airbag was deployed.. its probably unhooked, bad fuse or bad connection in the switch

Old 05-21-2007, 11:34 AM

I just fixed the same problem with my climate control. The problem is the solder points on the display. http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec153.shtml I followed these directions, and it was fixed no problem. I already had some solder and a soldering iron laying around, so cost of repair was $0.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 PM

As stated above, sunroof common problem, easy fix. As for the FOB good luck, I have been searching for one to work on my system for quite some time....and nothing so far. Yes the 96's do have GALA which automatically increases the volume once you reach certain speeds to account for added noise. The owners manual should show you how to turn that feature on/off.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:37 PM

Have you taken the car into the local Audi dealership (as much as we all hate the dealerships! haha)
I have had to take my FOB into them and they can sometimes reset it.

Just an idea. . .

Quick Reply: 1996 A-4 keyless entry fix