Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 A4 Quattro SLine - Oil Pressure/Engine Damage

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:42 PM
1st Gear
Angry 06 A4 Quattro SLine - Oil Pressure/Engine Damage

Hello everyone,
I have quite the dilemma - I have religiously had every single service done on my car, always at an Audi dealer...about a month ago I had an oil change done at a "non-Audi" service garage...The oil pressure light came on about 3 weeks after that oil change. It went off, I immediately had the oil level checked, it was fine. Second time light came on, I had oil level checked, it was fine, and light went off again. Third time it came on, I was driving on highway, I immediately got off highway, and the car just "stopped". (The engine did not seize, it did thereafter start up twice, I did not drive it) I had it towed to Audi dealer. Here is what they are telling me: They can't believe that the oil filter was changed one month ago, the oil is so dirty, there is so much debris and particles in the filter, that there has probably been likely damage done to the engine (suggesting may need to be replaced). Option 1 - bare minimum, replace oil pump (approx. $1400), but may still have low oil pressure issue and other damage....Option 2 - spend $120/hr diagnostic for 2-4 hours for them to dig deeper to see what's going on, decide from there what to do.....The car has 152K miles, I'm not about to sink money into it, but I also don't want to "give it away" to a salvage place. I am flummoxed that all this "damage" could have happened in the past month, from that "bad" oil change... I appreciate your opinions please. (Note: I am female, and although not a cynic, must allow that to factor in to this) Thank you in advance.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

Although it is possible that the non-Audi oil change placed screwed up I doubt it resulted in your current issue. Sounds like you suffered some sort of engine failure. I would not throw $1400 at it and hope it fixes the issue. Will dealer credit the diagnostic costs if you have the repair done by them? Might want to get an estimate on either a rebuilt or replacement engine and then decide what you are willing to do. Good luck.