Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 3.0 wont rev past 4k

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default 02 3.0 wont rev past 4k

Im looking at a 02 3.0 quattro manual and the owner says that it wont rev past 4k rpms. BUT that it drives just fine under that. He said he had 2 mechanics look at it and it was definately the ecu. I have no problem replacing the ecu.. But could it be something else? coils gone bad? o2 sensor? relays? He says that there are other electrical problems such as the windows done work, cd player doesnt work and the rear trunk doesnt work.

All the lights, dash guages, signals, wipers, ect, work fine though.

What is the possible problems for such? Relays? fuses? ecu?

Any advice on what to look for when looking at the car would be great.

Thanks!
Andrew

Old 03-11-2007, 11:18 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: 02 3.0 wont rev past 4k

I'd pass on the car. Why buy someone else's problem. You are just asking for trouble. I think it is the ECU also, but who knows.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

Has he had codes pulled? That might tell a lot about what the problem is... limp mode, vacuum or boost leak, timing problem.

Is the car chipped? Maybe it's in a chip valet mode?

Old 03-12-2007, 12:31 AM
1st Gear

I would buy someone else's problem, because I have the time, money and knowlege to fix it... Besides, its 1/2 KBB.

Kpatz, He claims it drives just fine.. So I wouldnt think it was a vacuum leak, Timing problem it might be, and it has alteza lights on the back, so heck.. it might be chipped and its in valet mode..

He's had 2 mechanics look at it, so im sure they pulled the codes..

Guy bought it from an auction, got some mechanics quotes to fix it for 3k, but doesnt have the money to fix it.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

Anyone else have any idea's?

Old 03-17-2007, 02:52 AM
1st Gear

Anyone else??

Old 03-17-2007, 03:53 AM
4th Gear

What I have noticed is that if you buy an audi w/problems you will have nothing but problems. If you buy an audi w/out problems it will be nice to you if you are nice to it! BUT if it is in a valet mode then that would explain it as well. I would check the ecu out and open it (if he lets you) and see whats under the hood! LOL

Josh

Old 03-17-2007, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

How can I tell if its been chipped? Heck most likely its just a flash from GIAC if its in valet mode.. and there is no real evidence of a chip in that... right???

Old 03-17-2007, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

Well I went to look at it, Needs a lot of work, lots of little stupid things..

So the owner is a kid that bought it from the auction and doesnt know how to do ****.. Luckly he hasnt touched the car to fix it..

Anyways, the car DOES rev to 4k rpms, infact it revs all the way to redline, BUT it wont respond to anything over 1/2-1/4 throttle, it'll run but it has no power, It doesnt feel like there is anything wrong as far as mechanical goes, it drives smooth.. It does feel like its the ecu.

Windows dont do anything, power seats are not hooked up, heck they arnt even bolted in all the way, cd player is blank... I think most of the electrical problems is because things are not even plugged in..

OH ya, its a 6 speed...

Anyone have any experience with any of this?

Im probably going to pass, that or give the guy an offer for 5k...

Andrew

Old 03-17-2007, 07:53 PM
4th Gear

Something just dont sound right, why would all those things not be hooked up? It's 1 thing if the car had a knock but everything else worked. Because then you know that you could pull the engine and drop a new 1 in for about $5k and be back in business for a total of $10k. When all kinds of electrical problems are wrong i tend to stay away. It could be an ecu but it could be many other things like a flood for instance. The kid in this case may not have touched it but what about all the others that have had their hands on the car?

Quick Reply: 02 3.0 wont rev past 4k